Capeside High

The next day:

I walk to school with the morning sun casting a glow over my face, but the air has a bite to it, so I'm still cold. As I walk up to the steps of Capeside High I hear someone call me:
"Y/N! Hey! Hey Y/N!" I turn around to see Jack jogging up behind me, he's wearing a great big winter coat 'somebody's forgotten that it's spring now'. His face as a pink tint to it and he's gasping for breath and stumbling every few steps that he takes.
"You walk so fast...for someone...with such...small legs...I've been following...you since...you passed...the video store."
"Sorry Jack, but aren't you meant to be star of the football team? I'll let coach know he needs to bench you from now on!" I laugh, then as he gets closer I smack him on the back of the head, light enough I know it doesn't hurt, but hard enough it causes him to flinch.
"And that's for calling me short!"

"So where's you sister then? I'm guessing she got here at 7.30am so she can do extra credit before we start all that fun learning!!"
"You know Andie, anything to put in her Harvard application."
We walk through into the hallway and I see Andie, she's wearing her baggy dungaree-shorts with a hot pink long-sleeve top underneath. Her hair is straightened so perfectly I looks as though she glues each strand in place, like a new barbie doll's hair. It's pull away from her face by a navy elastic headband, so that you can see her glowing smile. She's stood next to Pacey and 'oh god what has he done?!'

"You know Pace, when you wash your hair, you're meant to use the bottle that says 'shampoo' not 'bleach'". Jack says, while I try to bury the uncontrollable laughter by looking at Andie instead.
"Why thanks Jackers. Y/L/N, you like it right? Fashion icon that you are?"
"I'm sorry Pace, it's awful! Frosted tips? How much did you pay for that?"
"30 bucks, it's a price being this handsome you know" he replies, grinning widely.
"Pacey I think you got ripped off" Andie giggles and we all walk off to class while Pacey stands by the lockers frowning into a compact mirror and fussing with his hair.

Andy and I sit next to each other in math, so we walk together and split off from Jack at the end of the corridor.
"How dumb does Pacey look? Honestly he's so gullible sometimes, like 30 bucks?! Really?" Andie laughs.
"They definitely don't suit him, but I kind of think it's sweet. He seems to really care what we think, and just wants to make everyone laugh, even if he looks like an idiot."
"Wow, I thought maybe the frosted tips would put you off. But no you're still pining after him" Andie says, with eyebrows raised and one side of her head tilted towards me.
"It is so not like that! He's my friend, our friend. And I care about him, even when he makes a fool of himself." I say trying to get Andie to back off. She's my best friend and she knows what I think even before I think it- sometimes I wish she didn't have that gift.
"Ok we'll just try not to dream about him in math class. We've got a test today!" Andie grins, and I know it's in part for teasing me and the other part is because of how much she loves tests. I'll never understand it.