The Deal

Carmen POV

I wake up confused, my body aching all over. What's going on? I try to open my eyes but can't. I don't know why but the simple fact of what I can see scares me. . But what would I be afraid of? Raising a hand to touch my face, I hear the sound of a chain. Since when is there one in my room? Touching m stomach I feel it thicker as if bandages were placed on it. I force my mind to focus on the present moment.

It is then that everything comes back to me, my capture, the truth extractor, my escape attempt and especially the torture I was submitted to for having defied them. Gathering my courage, I open my eyes and see that I am back in my cell, the chains have been put back on me as well as the collar but with a small change. A chain now runs from the front of the collar and hangs on the wall.

Ignoring the pain and weakness in my arms, I sit up straight. I identify my major injuries as my arms which Brunt has broken, my torso which is completely wrapped in bandage, as is my left shoulder. Otherwise, several bruises seem to cover my entire body.

A small bowl of water with a pill next to it lies on my right. Ignoring the medicine, I swallow half the bowl, saving up in case they decide to take it away. The door opens and Dr. Bellum enters the room.

3rd person POV

The scientist approaches Carmen and unlocks the chains holding her arms. She frowns as she notices that the pill is still in its place.

"H- How..."

"Don't try little lamb, your vocal cords were damaged during your punishment. To answer what I think is your question, you have been unconscious for a little over 36 hours. You scared us, we thought you would never wake up in time to say goodbye to your old teammates. Take the pill, it will calm the pain." Carmen refuses with a shake of her head having trouble focusing her attention on all the scientist's words.

"Suit yourself, but don't come complaining that you're in pain afterwards. Give me your arm." Bellum demands as she takes a syringe out of her pocket.

"N-No." She stammers. Bellum begins to lose patience and shocks her, leaving Carmen gasping for breath.

"I'm not asking your opinion Black Sheep. I'd inject you anyway, so it's up to you if it's done with more pain than necessary."

The memory of this torture makes her tremble. Slowly she reaches for her right arm and Dr. Bellum impatiently grabs it and pulls, making her moan in pain. She removes the bandage from her forearm and inserts the needle. Carmen begins to feel more awake but unable to think clearly.

Bellum pulls out a piece of cloth and covers her eyes, then removes the bandages protecting her wounds to take a look. Seemingly satisfied, she places a pair of handcuffs on Carmen's wrists before unlocking the chains holding her by her legs and neck.

"Get up Black Sheep, you are expected."

Carmen tries to stand up but falls back with a thud and a cry of pain, her legs too weak to carry her. Cursing inwardly, Bellum grabs her upper arm and forces her to steady herself. She forces her to move forward, while absentmindedly holding her to prevent her from falling and delaying them. She leads her through a final doorway, where the rest of the Faculty were waiting for them.

"Ah, our little Black Sheep has finally woken up. She hasn't been too disobedient I hope ?" Professor Maelstrom asked with a predatory look at the young thief who was put on her knees and the collar chain was attached to the latch installed on the floor for her, preventing her from getting up.

"She refused to take the painkiller and required some persuasion to carry out a direct order." Bellum replies annoyed.

"I warned you, we shouldn't have wasted our time providing her with treatment. She is far too savage for that." Cleo expresses with disgust.