End of chapter 10

Carmen POV

As Maelstrom moved to the end of the table, near my head, I see out of the corner of my eye, Dr. Bellum filling 3/4 of a syringe before injecting it into my arm. Immediately, my mind goes blank and a dull ache develops throughout my body, I feel as if I am not sure of anything anymore. Bellum leans over and shines a lamp in my eyes before nodding to the Professor who was staring at me with a smile reminiscent of a child on Christmas Day, only much more sinister. He puts a blindfold over my eyes blocking my vision.

"She is ready, the drug will react to the electric current that will pass through her body. I will increase the doses as we go along."

"Good, then let's start easy. What's your name, child ?"

"Carmen Sandiego."

"Wrong answer. Your name is and always will be Blacksheep," she said, sending me a mild electric shock as she said the name. Immediately it was as if the dull pain brought up a memory, hearing me say that my code name was Blacksheep. Forcing my mind to ignore it, I bring myself back to the present moment and mutter a weak 'no' as the electricity runs through me again.

"We named you Black Sheep and you will always keep that name. So what is your name ?" he asks. At these words, the memory comes flooding back and without meaning to I answer.

"Black Sheep."

"Correct. I will increase the dose by 70%, Professor." A needle is stuck in my arm and the sensation gets worse. The pain becomes more present, as if all my old and current wounds are reopening. I hear a voice above me but I can't tell who it is from.

"Your old team died because of you. You disobeyed us and your insolence cost them their lives." An electric shock came as the words reached my ears. A series of images come to me and deep down I know they are wrong but they are still horrifying to see. I see Gray being killed by a Crackle Rod from one of the Cleaners, a wounded Shadowsan being strangled by an angry Coach Brunt, Ivy having her neck fatally slashed by an origami from Paper Star, Zack being stabbed by Tigress's claws, not to mention Player bleeding to death in his room. I see myself helplessly watching the scene on my knees and surrounded by the rest of the Faculty as I implore them to stop, that I would be a good girl if they let them live. The professors only have eyes for me and take pleasure in seeing me beg.

3rd Person POV

"No, stop ! Please, stop. I will be good, I promise." Carmen screams, thinking she is in the scene. The Professor glances at the scientist who was taking notes on her reactions.

"Can we increase the dose Doctor ?" Maelstrom asks as he strokes the girl's hair as she continued to beg. Bellum checks Carmen's vitals before refusing.

"No, her body isn't used to it and is already weakened with the previous testing and punishment. If she doesn't rest and regain her strength, she will die, or at least end up in a coma."

He grunts in displeasure. "Will she be fit to resume tomorrow morning ?"

"I think so, but I won't know for sure until the time comes. Then we can possibly go further. For a first day, the results of the subject are satisfactory to say the least."

"Very well, I'll leave you to communicate her schedule." He said as he walked out.Sighing, Bellum turns back to Carmen who was still moaning pleas. She unplugs the various devices and removes her blindfold. Injecting her with a tranquilizer, she sees her slowly coming to herself.

"What happened ?" She whispers.

"We made you relive your worst memories, mainly the death of your team."

Carmen has a flash of the previous images while Bellum signals for the Cleaners to untie her. Boris removes her straps and throws her to the floor allowing Vlad to pull her closer to the wall to lock the dragging chain. The scientist retrieves a roll of bandage and approaches the girl. She takes Carmen's hands and wraps her wrists to protect them. When she has finished, she moves away to put the products and syringes out of Carmen's reach.

Carmen POV

"You will spend your nights here until you no longer need this type of lesson. This way we will save time by not having to move you around. We will continue tomorrow, morning and evening, in the meantime, Coach will come to pick you up to discipline you a bit. Then Cleo will teach you respect and good manners that we will expect from you daily. This cycle will be repeated every day until we feel it is no longer necessary. "

"I look forward to it." I reply sarcastically, earning myself a glare and an electric shock from the scientist. I flinch as the door opens, turning quickly, I see a guard enter with a tray of food. My stomach growls in supplication at the sight alone.

"Normally I would have deprived you of food for your sarcasm but I'll make an exception given your physically weak state. From tomorrow you will have to gain it by excelling in your lessons Black Sheep. Is that clear ?"

"Yes."

The guard approaches and drops the tray to me before retreating with Bellum and the Cleaners, leaving me alone. The tray consists only of a piece of nearly stale bread, a small apple and a bowl of water. Starving, I pounce on the food without thinking, it's not really good but I'm far too hungry to let it stop me. Once I finish, my stomach growls for more, and I am fully aware of the fatigue that runs through my body. I lie down on the ground, trying to find a halfway comfortable position, tears streaming down my cheeks as I think about what I've seen. The looks on my team's faces as they were killed in front of my eyes still mark me. Unconsciously, I scream as loud as I can, letting out all my anger and pain. Eventually I succumbed to a sleep full of nightmares.