Too late ?

3rd Person POV

The castle of VILE was in turmoil. Alarms and sounds of struggle could be heard throughout the building. If the Faculty expected something to happen, it certainly wasn't a general ACME attack. Each of them was running away, hoping to save themselves. A little further on, Shadowsan and Gray advanced with the objective of Bellum's computer in her laboratory. As they entered it, they noticed the one-way mirror with the table behind it and the patches that had been used earlier.

"Do you think Carmen was there ?" Gray asks in a weak voice.

"Probably. I can't think of anyone else Bellum would use that equipment for."

Gray nods sadly, trying not to imagine the worst horrors. He turns to the computer and plugs in Carmen's USB lipstick. Payer is given access to the computer at the same time but swears at its protection.

"I can't do anything remotely. Looks like Bellum really doesn't want anyone to find out their secrets. Gray, I'll guide you. Shadowsan, it might take a while, so try to find the Faculty. They must know where they've locked her up." Shadowsan nods before stepping outside and locking the door behind Gray so he's safe.

"Have any of them been arrested yet ?"

"From what I hear, Brunt, Cleo and Bellum have been arrested. Devineaux with several agents are trying to get them to tell us where they're keeping Carmen and Jules."

"Thanks, Player."

"Shadowsan." This one was running when he hears someone calling him. Turning around, he comes face to face with Jules coming out of an air vent.

"I thought you'd never arrive."

"Do you know where Carmen is ?"

"Yes and no. She's the one who got me out of my cell a few hours ago. I wanted us to escape but she couldn't get through the door without the collar shocking her. She told me to hide as Maelstrom was coming. He was furious. I saw him take her away but I don't know where."

"Did you see which way ?"

"No, sorry. Go find her, I'll help ACME. Oh, and Shadowsan. Go carefully with her when you find her. She... You'll understand when you see her."

Shadowsan nods without showing concern and resumes his search. Soon he finds Maelstrom trying to escape through a secret passage. He then blocks his path, restraining himself from wiping Maelstrom's characteristic smirk.

"Shadowsan, my old friend. I don't suppose you're paying us a little courtesy visit."

"'Where's Carmen ?"

"The little lamb ? Oh, by now she must be dead from her wounds, otherwise the blood loss will have done the job." Shadowsan slams him hard against the wall.

"If you ever dared to harm her, I assure you that prison will be the least of your problems."

"If you really cared about that girl, then where were you to protect her when we were torturing her ? When we made her beg for mercy and she asked us to kill her to put her out of her misery." Shadowsan tightened his grip, letting his anger overwhelm him.

"You know nothing of my connection to Carmen."

"On the contrary, I know enough, at least from her perspective. When, no matter how much we made her scream, she refused to give us any information about you. You should have heard her crying and calling you for help as the electricity coursed through her body to make her obey, as the whip slapped on her back to discipline her, and so on. The despair and sadness on her face every time we took her to the punishment room or she had to get down on her knees by herself, waiting for us to hurt her. What I'll never forget is the deception in her eyes when she realised you'd abandoned her, from that moment on she stopped rebelling."