Interlude: A normal day

A/N : If you have any ideas for interludes please let me know, (that's the purpose of these). I hope you like it.

Carmen POV

I wake up with a small trickle of light falling on my face. I sit up, wincing from the pain of my punishment yesterday. I look down at my left arm wanting to observe the bruise forming on the top of my left arm when I notice a bandage around it. Dr. Bellum must have come to bandage the knife cut Coach Brunt gave me yesterday on my upper arm. At the same time, the chain on my foot automatically unlocks, telling me it's 12 o'clock. I get up and put my bracelet under the scanner and as I walk out I see Shepherd coming. He escorts me out of the Faculty Wing and forces me to leave for the showers.

Since Countess Cleo had complained that I was getting too dirty, every monday I had to take a shower. He takes me into the student showers, which are empty at this hour, and comes out to wait for me outside. I took off my clothes and turned on the water, which as usual was freezing. I was only allowed five minutes in the shower with cold water, but considering the temperature of the water, it's more than enough. I'm thankful that I don't have to clean my clothes. Indeed, the professors refuse to give me another outfit. If this one is covered with too much blood, I have to clean it in the shower with me and therefore wear wet clothes that will take several hours to dry completely. The last time I had to clean it, I got sick with a raging fever and difficulty breathing. I tried to hide it from the Faculty (because if I wasn't working, I didn't have any food) but I ended up collapsing while cleaning Professor Maelstrom's classroom in front of him. When I regained consciousness I was in my room with Dr Bellum coming to see me. She had told me that they wouldn't treat me and that this would be a lesson to me for not taking care of my stuff and not telling them. I was left locked up in my room, with no food or occupation and only the Doctor who came by in the evening to check on me and give me water.

Once finished, I quickly get out and find a towel to dry myself. I get dressed, trying to ignore the icy coldness of the collar after being put under water. Unfortunately for me, the collar and bracelet were waterproof. Shepherd makes sure I haven't stolen anything from the students before I leave. I look at my task list and realise that within an hour I will be finished, which means that some of the professors will bring me in for their classes. Knowing this I had mixed feelings, part of me wanted to be with them because they're the only ones who talk to me, even if it's to give me orders. But on the other hand, not seeing them often saved me from punishment and allowed me to eat. Weighing the pros and cons, I decide that I would rather be with them. I don't know why, but I need that contact.

An hour later

I had just finished cleaning up one of Dr. Bellum's classrooms (my last task), when I felt a vibration on my left wrist. As I looked, I noticed that the entire Faculty had summoned me to their personal self. Intrigued by the location of this convocation, I hurried to go there. When I arrived, the Cleaners were waiting for me and told me to set up everything for the professors' meal. I enter their kitchens and see the many dishes which, with the smell, turn my stomach. I put the cutlery and dishes on the table just as the professors enter. I step back to let them pass and they sit down without ever looking at me. Waiting for some kind of order telling me what to do, I see them start to eat while talking about the current class. I feel my stomach growl, and I hope to get out before they talk to me, but Coach stops me, drawing all their eyes to me.

"Not so fast Lambkins. We'll still need you after so you know what to do to wait." I hold back a sigh and kneel in the corner, trying to ignore my hunger. After what seems like an eternity, they finally finish and stand up.

"Clear the table Black Sheep, and hurry up, I have a class to teach and you're needed for it." Professor Maelstrom says to me and I quickly pick up their plates, as well as their dishes and put them in the big sink. After several trips back and forth, I finally finish and as I leave the room, I see that the Professor has been waiting for me. He looks up from his phone when he hears me and motions for me to follow him. I walk behind him as he makes his way to his classroom.