Chapter 3

Two bodyguards managed to take Vegas home, he was exhausted and the pain in his leg after the bullet entered his flesh was torturing him. The guards immediately called the doctor who came rapidly, knowing what he had to do, he was quite experienced since it wasn't unusual for someone in the minor family to get a bullet or two.

"Keep calm, Khun Vegas, I'll give you something for the pain..." the doctor told him with a soft voice. Gun arrived just in time to hear the doctor pronouncing those words, he looked at his son with a disgusted expression, he turned to the doctor and ordered: "No pain killers, nothing, if he got a bullet it is his fault only, some pain won't kill him..."

"But, Khun Gun, with all due respect..." the doctor tried to reply but Gun interrupted him and repeated the same sentence until the doctor accepted to continue the operation, he was only allowed to give a piece of cloth to Vegas, so that he could bite it while the doctor looked for the bullet inside the poor guy's flesh.

Everything was over after twenty minutes of pain, sweat and tears. Vegas was laying on the bed of his room, he was out of breath, so exhausted that he couldn't even care about the hate he had for his father or the strange feeling for Pete, he was just shivering after all that tension.

After a few minutes Macau entered the room silently, he looked at his brother carefully because he didn't want to wake him up in the case he somehow managed to fall asleep, but Vegas was still awake, he followed Macau with his eyes and noticed the pills and the glass of water in his hands.

"I went to the doctor, he said that you should take these, they will help with the pain..." Macau said softly, Vegas moved his hand and threw the glass onto the floor.

"Go away..." Vegas whispered, his eyes widened as he saw his father approaching, holding a belt.

"What are you doing here, Macau?" Gun asked.

"Nothing, father... I just came to see if he was alright"

"The doctor already did what was necessary, leave now" Gun replied, the younger brother went away immediately, fearing his father's reaction. The head of the minor family closed the door behind himself and walked to the bed. He sat down and pressed on the injured leg, Vegas moaned in pain, he tried to beg his father to stop it but the words couldn't get past his throat.

"What did I do wrong to get a son like you... completely useless... do you even realize what we lost during this operation? The Soldier is dead and now I have to coordinate the groups myself! You were supposed to go there and show that the main family doesn't have its power anymore, but the only casualties are on our side!" he yelled as he pressed harder.

"st...stop...." Vegas begged, his father nodded and stood up, he looked around, then back at his son.

"Since you don't understand what you did... I will hit you, one hit for each dead body at the harbor..." Gun explained before he hit his own son with the belt for ten times.

Macau could see them from the window of his bedroom, he felt so bad for his brother even if he wasn't exactly nice to him, usually too busy thinking about how to make his father proud of him and how to outsmart Kinn and the rest of the main family.

Kinn read the report Arm wrote after the mission was over, he looked up at Pete who was standing in front of the desk: "You are telling me that you managed to kill the target, the drug dealer and eight bodyguards and you even hit Vegas? Wow, I'm impressed, I sent you to send a symbol to the minor family but this is far beyond my expectations. However I'm a little disappointed that Vegas almost managed to capture you, you have to make sure that it doesn't happen again, you are a really good hitman, I can't lose a valuable resource like you, do you understand this, Pete?"

"Yes, sir. I will be more careful next time. May I leave now?" Pete asked, the boss nodded.

Pete went back to his room, he threw his clothes into a basket and went to the shower. He tried to make his thoughts go away with the hot water that was flowing on his skin, but for some reason he couldn't stop thinking about Vegas, did he spare his life just because he wasn't a target or was there something else that guided his hand away from the heir's heart?

"I wonder what he would have done to me if he had managed to capture me... I'm not sure I would let him do so just to find out though" Pete murmured.