Chapter 9

Khun Korn wanted to see Vegas and Macau, so he ordered his bodyguards to take the two of them to his office. The two brothers sat down since the leader of the major family wasn't there. After a while, Korn arrived and sat down behind the desk, he observed the two of them for a while, noticing that they didn't have the usual arrogant attitude, maybe their father's death was enough to make them change their mind.

"So, I guess that you already know the reason of this meeting"

"Obviously, uncle Korn. My father is dad and you're wondering if our loyalty to the major family is as solid as it is supposed to be. I'm certain that you're skeptical, considering that we already know that our father was on your target list" Vegas responded.

"Very good, so what is the answer?" Korn asked.

"I killed him" Vegas responded with a slightly satisfied tone.

"What?"

"You said Pete to kill him, I found your hitman in my father's office, ready to shoot him, I accidentally interrupted their nice meeting and decided to kill him. I had my reasons for that. More than one... to be honest" Vegas responded.

"Well, I can't deny that this was unexpected, however it isn't a proof of your loyalty to the major family, I'm sure you understand that I need something else" Korn added.

"You're absolutely right, that's why I've talked with my younger brother and we reached an agreement on an offer that we would like to propose to you" Vegas said.

"Go on"

"We will keep the wealth of the minor family and the house, or at least half of it. You get what is left of the minor family's power, including men, weapons, contracts, things like that... you can either appoint another leader or put everything under direct control of the major family, the choice is up to you" Vegas finished.

"I see, this is a very nice offer to be honest... I wonder what would make the ambitious son of my deceased brother surrender so easily. How can I know that you don't have something in mind..."

"Well, if you're so afraid you could ask some of your most loyal bodyguards to control me every day. I would accept on one condition though..."

"I'm listening"

"You have to allow Pete to date me"

"So... you're giving up just for love?" Korn asked with a smirk.

"I don't understand why you aren't happy about that, uncle... you get what you want without a bloodshed. Maybe if your brother showed a little more love to his sons, he wouldn't be dead..."

Pete was outside the office and overheard everything, he was surprised that Vegas was ready to abandon his ambitions just for him and his brother. Maybe he was right... if Korn's brother acted differently, the dead body in the office could be him instead.

Macau left first, he saw Pete and hugged him tightly. In his mind he felt like he skipped a chapter between that time when the hitman was about to kill him and the moment he confessed his deepest secrets. Maybe that was just Pete's best skill... he looked exactly like someone you could trust.