New Beginnings

I slowly stirred awake as I felt the warmth of the realm's sun hit my skin. I frowned, annoyed as I tried to think who left the window open, when I heard a slithering sound out the window.

Hooty: Hooty, hoot~! Rise and shine, Maddy~!!!!!

I groaned, mumbling a small thank you to him.

I yawned as I stretched. This was my first decent sleep since I've gotten here. I feel refreshed, no nightmares- even though a worm demon's always keeping me on my toes- and just... peace and comfort.

I rubbed my eyes, grabbing my phone absentmindedly. There were messages from Camilla checking in on us. I replied we were having a great time, that Luz was making new friends and that camp's been so fun. I don't like lying to her about where we are, but I could only imagine how she would react if she found out.

Sighing I closed the message app, not masking my disbelief as my eyes widened, seeing the time.

Madelene: It's almost- WHYYYY!?

I heard footsteps come running up the stairs followed by the door bursting open revealing Eda with her staff raised and King with a toy sword.

Eda: Whoa kid, what's got your short in a twist!?

King: NYEH! SHOW YOURSELF!

Maddy: IT'S LATE! WHY DIDN'T ANYONE WAKE ME!?

Eda lowers her staff.

Eda: Late? It's only 10:30.

Madelene: Exactly! I'm usually up by seven!

King: Well, you seemed comfortable and Luz didn't wanna wake you.

Eda: And besides, it looks like that was the first decent sleep you got in weeks.

I cringed, seeing her knowing eyes gazing at me like a... well... an owl.

Madelene: I don't get you...

Eda: Don't play dumb missy, you think I haven't noticed?

She smacked me on the head with her staff. I groaned as I doubled over, clutching my head as she continued her assault.

Madelene: F- Ow! Sheesh! Okay, okay! I'll admit, kinda hard not to feel refreshed after- well... weeks of unhealthy dreams.

Eda: And that's exactly why we let you sleep in.

Madelene: Well, unfortunately it destroyed my routine...

Eda: If your routine makes you wake up in unholy hours, then I'm happy to let you sleep in.

My false bravado wavered as I gave them a grateful smile. It makes me happy, knowing I've been taken care of for such a short amount of time. They are a little bit childish, but undeniably kind.

Owlbert comes to life and perches himself atop my head, sending a tingle up my spine. I giggled as he cooed, forming a nest on my hair.

I reach a finger and pet Owlbert, and if the adorable trills of pleasure are to go by he likes it.

Eda: So, any plans for today?

Madelene: I don't know yet. Maybe give Boscha her jacket back?

Eda: Oh, you mean the girl you accidentally confessed to?

My face turns beet red as I'm reminded of my gay meltdown yesterday.

Madelene: Wh- J... I won't escape that humiliation, will I?

Eda: Sorry, kid. You'll have this over your head even if you're old and wrinkly.

Madelene: I hope that won't be the case.