Blightfully Unaware

It's deafening, the sounds in the wild. The crunch of footsteps... the warmth of people beyond.

Fire and ice, monstrous and kindling.... Far above the mountain,.

Violet and blue... ash and snow... forest greens and foreboding below.

Worry they consume... happiness looms...

Madelene could not grasp any concrete scene, like some water stream.

She tried to be more aware, but her mind has been in turmoil lately, blurred by lines of decisions stacking and forming walls to hide anything to grasp. So she watched helplessly, watching without knowing... listening without hearing. Speaking without understanding her own thoughts.

She's a specter of an unusual dream. A dream in which she is aware, but diluted enough to say anything of importance.

But hope and doubt swept upon the windows of her heart, three thumps of brimming hope and a thread detaching within her reach-

Eda: Heave-ho!

Madelene: Jesus cheese ba-wwha!?

She woke up dangling upside down, Eda holding onto her leg as she tried to make sense of her surroundings.

Eda: Rise and shine, kiddo! We got a lot of work to do!

Madelene tried and failed to understand what she said, but seeing as the other tenants of the Owl house were behind Eda, dressed and full of energy, Madelene could only sigh.

Madelene: Can I just sleep the whole day? I'm still tiredddd...

She whined, sighing once more as Eda shook her from side to side.

Eda: No can do, sorry. We gonna have some mada-

Luz, King, Madelene: LANGUAGE!

Eda: -Fun bonding time!

Just another day at the Owl House.

—-

Another day at Eda's stand and it has been so slow. Even with King giving out free snacks and me trying to sell some stuff, not a lot has been sold. I'm still pretty bummed Eda woke me up like that, but... eh. I'm a freeloader at her house, and can't complain if what we do puts weird food on the table. Unfortunately, today's not the day of our luck.

Madelene: Please tell me this is not the bonding time you wanted....

Eda: Not at all.... Okay, that's a lie. Thought we might cash in deep today, but it seems your charms aren't working.

King Throws his plate of free snacks to the ground in frustration with a grunt.

King: Why won't they listen to me? I am their rightful overlord! Intellectually and such.

Madelene: I'm not off my game am I?

I asked Eda, ignoring King as he continued to complain.

Eda: Nah, I think there's something else going on. Hey, you!

She grabs a passing Hexside student and sniffs them.

Eda: It reeks more of a nerd than money today.

Madelene: Please don't sniff the customers....

Luz: Guys!

Luz suddenly slammed her hands on the table, making Eda drop the poor student and me, with an energy of a sloth, slowly looked at her blankly, waiting for the day to be... more.