chapter eight

They were in the kitchen, making cookies for the spell

They were in the kitchen, making cookies for the spell. "All right. It says that we still need one tear, and I never cried." Chloe said after she pointed at her spellbook for the last ingredient. "Let's just chop up some onions." Carlos said with Dude next to him. "No! It says that we need one tear of human sadness. And this love potion gets the best so we have to follow it exactly." Mal said looking at Chloe and she nodded.

"A tear's a tear." Jay told Mal and Chloe. "That's not true, Jay. They both have antibodies and enzymes, but an emotional tear has more protein-based hormones than a reflex tear." Evie said and Mal teased saying, "Listen to you." "Yeah, I knew that." Jay told Evie. Carlos hit his arm and said, "Did not." "Yeah, I did." Jay said as both him and Carlos began to pet Dude.

Lonnie came in looking for Chloe and Mal. "Chloe, Mal! There you are! I was looking for you." Chloe covered her spellbook with a kitchen towel. "You know, all the girls want you two to do their hair! Midnight snack, huh? What you guys making?" Lonnie said. "Nothing special. Just cookies. Oh, no, no!" Mal yelled as Lonnie dipped her finger into the bowl that has the cookie dough in it. "Wait, wait, wait!" Carlos said causing them to all stare at her.

"What? I'm not gonna double dip." Lonnie told them. "Feel anything?" Evie asked. "Yeah, like maybe it might be missing something?" Chloe asked. "Hey, there." Jay said flirting. "It could use some chips." Lonnie told them and Jay asked, "Chips?" They all took a breath of relief. "And those are..." Chloe asked as she stirred.

"Chocolate chips. Just the most important food group. Wait, didn't your moms ever make you guys, like, chocolate chip cookies?" Lonnie told them as she walked over to the bowl and put some chocolate chips in the bowl. Chloe looked down at hearing the word, 'Mom'. The rest of them looked at her.

"Like, when you're feeling sad, and they're fresh from the oven, with a big old glass of milk, and she just makes you laugh and puts everything into perspective and... why are you all looking at me like that?" Lonnie asked causin Chloe to continue to stir as she said, "It's just different where we're from..."

Lonnie said to Chloe, "Yeah, I know. I just, you know, I thought... Even villains love their kids." The five VKs looked at Lonnie, looking a bit sad. "Oh... How awful." Lonnie grabbed Chloe's hand and it caused her to look up. She saw a tear and wiped it off of Lonnie's face and put it into the cookie dough.

"Yeah, well, big bummer, but we have to get these into the oven, so thank you so much for coming by. Really, really have a good night. I'll see you tomorrow. Evil dreams." Chloe said pushing her out. "Good night." Lonnie told her. "Good night, see you tomorrow. Okay, boys, cookie sheet. Evie,  Mal oven." Chloe said and Evie told her, "Yes, ma'am!"

After the cookies were put in the oven, Chloe told them that she could take care of the rest. The four left, heading to bed. Chloe cleaned up so nothing suspicious was left behind. Chloe waited for the cookies and soon as she knew it, they were done. Chloe waited for them to cool down and then they were no longer hot. She grabbed a bag and put them in.