Chapter 4

The sun streams around the velvet curtains. They are good at keeping out most of the light but some still escapes the tight grips of its expensive quality. I turn to the window, and for the first time I really survey my room. Its bed is centered on the far wall from the door, a side table on each side holds nothing more then a lamp and some loose change. The fireplace adjacent from the bed is cold and unused. The familiar feeling of the biting cold is welcomed. A small chair is angled to the fireplace with a book splayed wide, holding open the page I was last reading. The wardrobe on the wall far from the window sits almost completely empty.

I live here in name only, I guess when I moved on the ship I really did, even before I knew that I was doing it. This was never meant for me. I can't stay, no matter what, this life, the comfy beds, and massively large homes with servants far away from the water isn't meant for me. That would be much easier if I could just be like my family wants me to be, but deep down I know I can never be that parson, I won't.

I get up and dress, going into the bathroom next to my wardrobe and quickly look in the mirror, my Nana's necklace is resting in the center of my chest. Sering into my heart, my soul. "I will make you proud." I say to the girl staring back at me in the mirror.

I walk down the stairs, the servants are moving about the house in fast silent foot falls. They move with such precision I wonder how and where they learned such grace. I know ladies with much less beauty than them. I walk past them trying not to draw any attention, good thing that is what I am good at, no one notices me unless they need something from me. Unless I am disappointing them, which happens far too often.

I sneak past my fathers office and continue to the door, not sure that he is even in there, but unwilling to take the chance. The door creaks open and I slip through. The cold wind hits me and I take a deep breath, the smell enters my body and I am reminded of the ocean and being on the deck. I hurry down the steps into the town. I know what I need to do, but I'm not exactly sure how to find it.

I pass shop after shop until I see it, the gambling den. I was never allowed on this side of the city as a kid, it wasn't until I got much older that I ventured over here on my own. I've learned that I need to be careful, but in the day I should be safer than before. I wish my own experience didn't help me learn this, but I have the scars to prove it.

I enter through back when I spot him. "Nathene."

He turns, looks at me for a long time before he starts to walk over. "Well, never thought I'd see you again."

"It sure looked like that, but here we are." I say, trying to keep the bite from my tone. I need his help, so it's no use making him angry, hells knows he can get angry about anything.

"Did you miss me?" a smile stretches across his face.

I'm unsure how to respond, I dont want to lie, but the truth won't help anything. "Did you want me too?"

"It would have been nice to know sweet little Lily missed me. But I guess you're too good from me now that daddy gave you your own ship and let you set sail to hells knows where." He says, with a hint of what seems like jealousy.

"About that," this was a perfect way to bring up what I needed to ask him. "Do you know of any way I can earn money, and fast. 20,000 Ze, to be exact."

"You need money, what one ship isn't enough for you, need to buy the whole damn harbor too." He says, but I don't think he believes that.

"Do you or not? I didn't come here to have my time wasted." A slip of my tongue and I know I've made a mistake.

He starts to get a little annoyed then he grins at me with that eye capturing smile and I remember why I liked him in the first place. Despite all of the warnings about him, he has charm and looks in buckets. His sandy hair has a couple pieces out of place and yet those dont make him look anything but perfectly put together. His blue eyes look down on mine and I forget why I am here.