Chapter 17

Once on the ship I tell Atlas to wait for me in the navigation room. I need to change shifts before I can question him about everything that went down. My head is spinning, how the hells did Mr. Finch recognize Atlas from the castle, what was he doing there? I knew that I obviously didn't know much about him, but the things he told me were complete lies. Why couldn't he just have kept to himself instead of playing me? I feel so stupid. This man who I was picking up, for a large some of money no questioned asked, turns out to be someone who lies, how I am even surprised by this.

I have been so distracted lately that I didn't see this, I trusted him so easily. Not anymore, we are going north to drop him off and be done with this forever. Everything I told him floods through my head, how honest I was, my panic attacks. I'm so furious right now, but for the moment being I need to put it aside as I walk up to Warren. The last thing I need is him finding out about the job I took and how poorly it has turned out.

"Captain, I am glad you are back. Ike just returned a little but ago, and Gabriel never left." He says.

"Perfect, you three can take leave if you wish, I will be busy in my office." I say, trying my best to sound natural. "Oh and well your out can you make sure they are sending the shipment to the right place, here are the orders." I hand him the papers I got from the Governing Body of Merchants.

"Yeah totally." He says, walking to the ramp he turns to me. "Where is Atlas, I thought he left with you?"

I'm stunned for a moment. Does he know? How could he possibly know? He is probably just asking because its the normal thing do. "Oh he is taking a nap, the cold really got to him." I say, and hate how the lie feels on my tongue. I fight back a wince.

"The cold is brutal." He comments, taking the lie exactly how I intended it. He walks down the blank of wood with Zana and Rabia, chatting about the weather farther north.

When they are out of sight I try my best to not rush over to where I stuck Atlas. When I am at the door I hesitate. I might not like what I find out, but am I really going to fail my mission to bring him north, no matter what I find? Either way I need to know, I'm sick of the lies.

I barge in, the door opening wide to reveal Atlas sitting in a chair. Looking calmer than he had when I first found out his lie. The facade was gone and he knew it, but now he seems almost okay with it. I close the door, walking with the dignity and power I still pretend I hold. Sitting down in my chair I lean back, crossing one leg over the other, resting my arms on the sides. Everything in my body is hurt and angry, but hells if I let him see that.

He must realize that I am waiting for him to start because he sits up straighter before starting. "I'm sorry for lying to you, I didn't want to but you have to understand, I had no idea if you would let me on here if you knew."

"Knew what, I still have no idea who the hells you are or what you are doing on my ship." I say, biting back a snarl.

His demeanor changes, he waits for a moment, thinking through what to say. "Your friend wa-"

"He is not my friend." I growl.

He swallows then tries again, "That man was correct, he probably had seen my in the castle at a banquet." He folds his hands together, the picture of perfection, and now that my eyes are wide open I see it. The class he has, the way he carries himself. "I work for the crown."

"Clearly you are high up on the food chain because you were seated with the king." I say.

"Yes, I work very closely with the prince's."

"As what?" I ask, not letting myself be okay with general statements anymore. I want to know everything.

"I am the youngest prince's guard. Here to make sure The North is safe for him. As you may have heard one of his brothers died, we fear for his life too."