Chapter 18

Above deck, the crew starts getting the ship prepared for heading north. Our ship has gone there a few times before, but only because it doesn't contain much of a city for us to import and export items from. We really have no need to go there until we get the request to bring food and supplies to that desolate village. Everything else up north is cold and barren, so why this random prince wants to eventually go there, I have no idea.

The sun tries to peek through the clouds. Without it, the air chills me. I am never really used to the cold, growing up in a fairly warm climate, this always rattles me. Deciding that I need something to warn me up, I head to Warren.

I find him in the Forecastle room, talking to Maeve. "Hey, what are you guys up to?"

Maeve speaks first. "Just letting Warren know that he is getting soft." She chuckles.

Glaring at her he says, "Do something bad and we will find out if that's true." That glare scares even the toughest of men, so how it doesn't even phase her, beats me.

"Is that a bet?" She asks, a devious look in her eyes.

"Maybe." He says, glare still very present.

I definitely walked into something, but I'm here now so I might as well get what I came for. "I have an idea, why don't we do some training?"

Warren's expression lightens a bit. "Good idea, Captain." He turns and heads to the deck.

This leaves me and Maeve alone. "I know you like messing with him, but don't go too far, we have all seen his temper."

She nods, "I just want him to lighten up a bit. Plus it is too easy to push his buttons, sometimes I can't help myself." Shrugging she continues, "But I'll work on it. Promise."

With that we leave the room. I highly doubt she will lighten up, but it's my job to keep them somewhat in line. The truth is, Warren might have a wicked temper, but I have never seen him lose it on someone who doesn't deserve it.

I walk over the the main deck where I see warren setting up for training. He clearly knows more than anyone about fighting and combat skills, except now maybe Atlas. We try to learn how to defend ourselves whenever we can, not everyone joins in, but everyone is welcome.

Warren has called to everyone and let them know what is going on and a group starts to assemble. Pairs are formed, Ike starts with Ty, who to my surprise is actually allowed to participate this time. His dad usually tells him not to worry about things like fighting and to just focus on the job they have. He must be taking Atlas and I's advice.

Next group to join is Castil and Maeve. They mostly just mess around, but together they know enough to defend themselves. I secretly think Maeve knows more them she lets on, but that is her secret to keep. Castil is just not very into fighting even though I think he would be quite good if he put himself into it.

Then I see Roger and Wren pair together. Roger takes it very seriously, he is quite good, though I get the feeling he doesn't like being good at it. Then there is Wren who doesn't like to mess up, everything he does he wants to be perfect at. They are very good at helping each other improve on their skills.

Warren and Cianna are instructors. I think Cianna does it so he has someone as an example, however she seems to enjoy learning a new skill. Usually I am paired with Warren, however I don't mind letting Cianna take this turn, I'll jump in after her. Vinnie sits by herself against the railing of the ship, pretending not to care about what is going on. I think she doesn't want to enjoy things here, especially now that she plans to leave. Rhea also sits next to Lilim on a barrel watching the activities. Neither have any desire to fight or hurt people, it is the opposite of their job here, so I guess I don't blame them.