Chapter 5

When I arrive at the house I don't even have to go inside to know that everyone is here. The sound of conversation drifts into the street. If my brother weren't expecting me, I might try and get out of it. Instead I trudge up the gravel walkway, making myself put on a happy face. When I get to the door I take a deep breath of the cool evening air that whips at my face. Wiping my hands on my shirt I walk into the house.

Music is playing loud enough that I'm not exactly sure where it comes from. First I see my mom laughing at someone; its been a long time since I've seen her laugh like that. Heading for her, I walk past my dads office.

"Lily." My father says, intention for calling my name clear.

I head over to him and stand in front of his chair. He motions with a slight head nod to sit in the chair I sat in the day before. Not wanting to fight with him right now I do what he asks.

Clearing his throat he starts, "So, have you come to your senses, or do you still insist on a fools mission to save that dilapidated ship."

I'm instantly angry, but I try to cool down. He doesn't deserve to know how much it pains me to have him say this to me. If he only knew who I had to see to find some money. My father never liked Nathene, but I didn't listen until it was too late. The charmer he was fooled me.

"I am going to get the money, that's all you have to know." I say.

He scoffs, "Fine, but when you come up empty handed, I have someone who I want you to meet, he is here tonight actually."

I'm speechless, did he seriously set me up with someone already? I've barley hade a full day to find the money and he already thinks I'm going to fail. I stand up, "You invited him to dinner?"

"Dont make a scene Lily." Pressing his hands to his desk, he stands up to look at me. "You will fail, and like everyone has always known, your life will amount to nothing." He whispers to me.

Im about to respond when I hear the door open. "You aren't the only one who invited a guest."

My father looks past me to his perfectly crafted wood doors and waits to see who passes by them. When he spies who it is, he goes pale just a second before he turns reder than the lobsters in the wharf. "What the hells is that street whore doing here." He demands.

"Dont make a scene father." Smiling, I turn and walk straight to Jaylyn.

We are seated at the table, mother and father taking the ends, me and Jaylyn on one Side, and my brother and is new bride on the other. The only one left to sit is the man that is to be my new beau, who I haven't seem yet.

It's quite, no one has decided to start a conversation, the silence becomes so thick its suffocating. My mother played with the napkin in her lap, Leo scratches the back of his neck. Cynthia seems to be watching Jay with cat eyes, following her every twitch. I gather she must know her husbands past.

The main door to house opens and we all glance towards the door of the dining room. From here we can't see the entry way, but we all seem to wait until he gets into our line of sight. Then I hear a voice, not just any voice, but one that sounds very familiar.

"Thank you," it says. "I will find my own way to the dinning room, you needn't bother with me." With a kind sweet voice.

I am momentarily stunned, where do I know that voice? Then, as I try an think back, he comes into view. No way.

"Hugo, its lovely to see you again." Says my father, with a smile that seems very genuine, but I know it is only for the triumph he feels over me.

"You too sir." Hugo looks instantly to me and I am sent back to a memory.