Chapter 13

Shouts go around the ship, readying us for anchoring. Roger commands his group, yelling instructions with a precision that's almost magical. It's like watching an animal act on instinct, knowing exactly what to do because in comes from within. He was meant for this life more than the rest of us.

Once at the port I notice the grey sky looming over us. I should have expected the weather to start getting this way, buy I didn't expect the change until the next stop. I head from the quarter deck, where Ike has just finished steering us into the wharf, to the main deck. Seeing only those that need to get off on this stop waiting by the ramp.

I scheduled these embarkments because of the command from the old man who gave me this terrible job, but also because they are legitimate and will provide us with money. This one is to the point, I get the supplies I need for myself, Maeve gets extra food she deems necessary, and Arthur gets supplies so that he can stock up in case of an emergency leak happens or one of the sails need replaced. Warren and Roger will also go, but they will only pick up the supplies we are taking back with us to Whitestone.

I gather the crew who is leaving with me. "Remember, be back before dark. We are spending the night here, but I don't want any of you gambling, drinking or sleeping anywhere that isn't this ship." I look at Maeve for that last part.

She laughs shrugging her shoulders.

Then the ramp is lowered, I let my crew walk down first. Out of the corner of my eye I see Atlas behind some other guys talking, and I realize I haven't seen him much lately. Not since we got close to port. I am most definitely looking right at him because he looks me dead in the eyes and smiles. I turn and march down the wood slope, not giving a second glance back.

Finally in the city, I head to my first stop. It's one of the few places that offer old records. When I'm finally by myself I duck into an ally. Leaning against the cool brick wall I take a breath. Wiping my hands on my shirt, I reach into my pocket and pull out the letter. Looking at the name on the paper, my eyes start to glisten. I take a couple deep breaths and put the paper back in my pocket.

I'm outside the massive building. I didn't want to think about the note, I didn't want to finish reading it for the explanation of what I saw. However, this city holds records to everyone who has had a job and I need to find someone. I walk inside, the smell of books hangs all around the four walls encasing this space. I instantly see a lady at the counter, sitting on a wood stool skimming through a extremely warn book.

Waltzing up to her I ask, "Is there any way I can look in your records for a specific person?" hands twitching at my side.

The women looks up, her grey hair is tied back in a fancy bun, braids holding it together. However she looks at me with dull eyes, time having stole their light. Not even setting her book down she responds, "No."

Her eyes instantly go back to her pages. I'm not quite sure what to say, I don't know anywhere else, apart from the capital that would have records like this, I'm not even sure they'll have them here. "Well can you look them up?" I ask.

Slowly bringing her eyes to my face, she sets down her book. "I'm not sure what you think this place is, but it doesn't give young girls access to old flings."

And with that all worry I had with this place is gone. My arms cross over my chest. "Actually I am here to look up someone from an old merchant ship my father owned. So if you wouldn't mind helping that happen," I bite out this last part, "please."

Not believing me, she grabs her book and denies my request again. I storm out and slam the door behind me. Running down the uneven roads with cracks and moss growing through them. I find a place to hid, this time I don't hold back the tears. I let them freely stain my cheeks, the water falling down my face to the floor. I hadn't realized how much I had held them back, because it feels so freeing to let down my guard and break down.