Chapter 25

I sit on the stool across from their beds, each one lined against the wall. I'm unsure what to say, part of me wants to wake them up, the other part to go check on the rest of them. They lay there so peaceful, everything about them sweet and serene. My heart feels a little better knowing that at least someone survived, that something is familiar in this new and foreign place.

I brush the hair back from his face, his age making him look so young, too young to be put in this situation. I am not sure how they decided who to group together and who to keep apart, but I feel in my gut that if he isn't with his dad, it's because they couldn't but them together. The similarities on their faces are too obvious to mistake.

Ty sleeps, the touch going completely unnoticed. He looks the same, a few scars on his hands, but that is the only outwardly difference. I wonder how he will change with the undoubtedly bad news of his fathers passing. What he will become now that he is all alone. All of me wants to be here for him, and help him to move on from this, but I know this can't be glossed over. The news will wreck him, he probably won't be the same ever again. The same way I was when my Papa died, able to live and do things, but always hurt a little when thinking upon them.

The little ember of pain when I think of his death and the fact that I will never get a glimpse or word of him again. It never fully heals, but you learn to ignore it, try to distract yourself with thoughts of other things.

I look to the second person on this room, his cot fully taken up by his size, unlike Ty. He turns and moves, restlessly sleeping. His hair is disheveled with days or weeks of abandonment. His face still as horribly beautiful and perfect as it was before. The pristine blues eyes hidden, but indeed still there.

I move my chair over to his cot, for a reason I can't quite admit. I stare at him, urging him to wake up, needing to talk this over with him, yell at him. Anything. Something. Our last moments together were how I thought I would die, in his arms. I almost wish I had, it would have been dreadfully romantic. However that was not the case, I survived that night, and now I won't be the only one wishing I had died that night.

Altas stirs awake, the sleep in his eyes not giving away how long he has been here in bed. I watch him, waiting. He turns to me and seems to register who I am. "Lily...wh-" Then he looks around taking in the room, his bed, Ty's still body at his feet.

"We survived the wreck." I say, not ready to go over in detail what happened that night, hearing a few hours ago was enough for now.

He curses. "Who survived?" He asks. The same first thought as the one I had.

"Not sure yet, you and Tyrus are the first ones I have seen. Saige told me I needed to rest between houses."

"Do you at least know a number?" He asks, needing something.

I sigh and look at my hands. "Yeah. 12 of us are still here." Deciding it better to say who is still here then the number we lost.

"Hells." He whispers.

I can't be here, look at him. even if I can logically know it isn't all his fault, he reminds me of the mistake I made, the part I played. "I am going to check on the rest of the crew." I say standing.

"Wait!" He tries to stand, but his body has different thoughts. He falls back to his bed with a thud. "Let me go with you."

"No, you are not well enough to travel outside, I was barely granted permission."

"By who, what happened?" he asks the question I was trying to avoid.

"I will tell you later, when I have all the crew together, I am not explaining this multiple times. And trust me, I will be back for you, we need to talk. So I suggest resting as much until that time comes." And with that I leave him and Ty in their minuscule room.