Chapter 11

We get on the ship and it's still empty, with the exception of the four men on watch. I decide I will tell them tomorrow that they have a new crewmate. But tonight they will be too distracted to notice or care. I need to get him changed and quickly teach him the basics of running a ship, or it will be even more painfully obvious that he doesn't belong here.

I lead him down a ladder that goes below deck. I walk down the narrow hallway without much of a thought on where we are going; I know this ship better than I know myself. "This is where you will be sleeping. That is your hammock and this is your new outfit. I will wait outside while you change."

"I am sleeping here?" he says, almost disgusted.

"Oh sorry, the private rooms were all taken by the other pain in the asses I get paid to let on my ship." I start to walk out of the room.

"Do I have to wear this too?" he grumbles.

I shut the door without answering him. Great, so not only do I have to explain him to my crew, without actually telling them too many details, but I have to help Mr. Too Good To Live Like A Pirate fit in. Where did he come from anyways? I couldn't ask, and to be honest I wasn't completely sure I wanted to know.

He exited the room and I got to work showing him how to tie knots, work the sails, use the nets, and anything else I thought necessary. He wasn't half bad actually, probably could have been a pirate in another life, but i'd never tell him that. He already takes too fondly to doing a good job, don't need it going to his head even more. We work the whole night until I hear the crew come aboard. I send Atlas to his room and tell him to pretend to be asleep until it was time to get up.

I head back to the main deck where my crew is gathered, most of them quite drunk. I sit down on a barrel near Ike, who unsuccessfully tries to keep the rest of them quiet. He isn't a drinker, but he enjoys spending time with the crew, so whenever a tavern is on the agenda he goes without question, as do I usually.

Turning to me he bumps me shoulder. "Cas and Warren got us kicked out of two different taverns."

Of course they did. I'm not surprised, Cas loves to get so drunk he won't remember anything in the morning, and as a musician, that isn't an issue. However, my second in command is the one dealing the punishments, keeping everyone in line, which he does uncomfortably well. Not that you would know with how he acts at the tavern.

Years ago he was the most drunk I have ever seen him, and one of the guys on my crew was new and seemed to be hitting on some of the women on board without there consent. I thought I would have to deal with it, but right as I was about to do something, Warren leaps off of his stool, grabs him by the collar of his shirt and dangles him over the railing of the ship. He whispered something into his ear and that man was never an issue again. Shortly after the incident, he left my ship and I haven't seen him since.

I watch as Castil heavily flirts with anyone he talks too, much to Wrens dismay. I have always stuck by my rules that no one on board is aloud to intermingle together, exceptions are couples that are married and/or have kids before getting on bored. This keeps me from losing crew to inconsequential flings. However with them, I can't help but let it be, if anything in helps Wren relax more. He has always done his job well, honestly too good for my ship, but he could use some laughter once and awhile.

"You know I almost ready to 'ave Rhea take over. I think she be better than I ever was, I won't say that to her." Lilim comments. And I am drawn into the conversation.

"You think?" Cianna says. "She is so young, I can't imagine letting Vinnie take over for Gunner anytime soon."

"Rhea knows what she doing, natural gift." Says Lilim.