Chapter 9

We are only a couple days from Blackwood, having only 23 days left to hand my father the money for the ship, I am more anxious then ever. The package tucked away safely on board my ship will ease some of my worry, but until then I busy myself.

Needing to check in and make sure that everyone has gotten to work after being out late night, I stop by the infirmary first. Rhea is mixing herbs. Her brown skin is darker in this room, the single lantern barley giving off any light. Her messy deep brown curls are around her head free. She is the youngest aboard our ship, at 11. She wandered on here three years ago. She didn't speak for months, having no idea where she was from we kept her on board. When she was finally able to speak, she never stoped. The only thing she won't talk about is what happened to her, and we don't ask.

"Rhea, where is Lilim?" I say.

She whips around nearly dropping her bowl of herbs. "Oh Captain I'm so sorry, I didn't know you were coming by. I would have cleaned up a bit. Rus asked me to make him something for the burn he got while helping his dad yesterday."

"It's alright, I was just making sure you all were fine." I look at her questioning.

She finally understands that I am asking a question. "Oh yes! We are both very well, she just went to go get some water for me."

Okay I say laughing, she is such a wild child. I go to leave then she adds, "Is there any way you could give the ointment to Rus, I would myself but..." She trails off. Looking at her hands, a slight blush darkening her cheeks. Tyrus is only a year older than her, he is the second kid aboard the ship, the last being Vinnie. She is 16, though I guess that is the correct age to start on a ship, the same age I started on my first ship. It just feels so young now looking back.

"Of course." I say.

She looks up, blush gone. "Great!" She exclaims. "It should only be another minute."

"That's fine."

She gets to work, grounding up the last bit of ingredients. She is so focused, it seems that the infirmary work is the only thing that keeps her attention for more than a second. She was born for this, its too bad she can't go to school for it. Most ships only have healers on board if they have a very large crew, or if one of the other workers is already good at fixing people up. However, we aren't very big, and her only job is this. "Rhea?"

"Mmm yes?" She is distracted by her mixed herbs.

"Have you ever though of leaving the ship, maybe starting school?" Ike taught her how to read, write, and anything else he could remember from school. If I had any input then I would help, but he knew just as much as I did. He tried to teach Tyrus, Vinnie, and anyone who wanted it. The only educated ones are me, Ike, Ro and I think Cianna has some education too, but she doesn't talk about her time before she lived on ships.

Still stirring, her replay is a simple, "No."

I think about asking why, but she didn't even hesitate in her response, and I can't blame her, I never want to leave either. She smiles and hands me the bowl.

"All done, tell him to put it on thick and rap it in a clean cloth. He can come get more if her runs out." She says.

"Alright." I say and leave.

I'm not sure where to find him. When I reach the main deck I see Warren talking to Maeve, deciding Warren probably knows where Tyrus is I go up to them. It's windy and my hair blows into my face, I momentarily pause to tie it back.

"I'm just saying, a new soup every now and then couldn't hurt." Says Warren.

"And neither could 400,000 Ze, but I don't see either of those things happening."