Chapter 8

The ship set sail. I boarded the ship and told them to raise the anchors, it was time to leave. Without any questions they did as they were instructed. I look over the bow of the ship and see a bright beautiful ocean ahead of me. There is naught like looking out and seeing nothing but wide open space. I turn around to see my crew moving like bees in a hive; everyone knowing exactly what to do without getting in anyone else's way. This is mine all mine, everything I have built. I grip the railing trying to steady myself. Everything I want is ahead of me, just within reach. I refuse to look back, if I do I might realize this is crazy, that I have made a colossal mistake.

The salt air curls my newly cropped hair. No one has said anything about it yet, but I know that will change.

"Captain, I noticed that we got a request to go north," Roger looked out at the sea, squinting at the sun. "However we are not headed that way, may I ask why?"

Roger had been one of the first men to ask for a position in my crew. He was a friend I had made on another ship, young like me but positive in his calling to become a pirate from adolescence. His scruffy dark hair and deeply tanned skin made it obvious he is a pirate who spends many years in the sun. But his manners make him seem like he is the diplomat to the royal family. "Yes Ro, you may. We are headed North, but we have to make a slight detour first."

"How many times must I remind you not to call me Ro in front of the crew." He says with a playful smile, back slouching a bit.

"Ah that's right, I forgot. Next time K?" I say, even though I definitely did not forget. I smile at him and we both know I will continue to call him that. I think deep down he likes it, but we both are unwilling to admit it. He turns away laughing to himself. I turn to look back at the sea, moving to sit on one of the barrels of grain.

I am not sure that I should have taken this mission. No one else knows what it is, and that is the loyalty of my crew, they don't need to know where they are going, they trust me to decide that for all of us. I haven't abused that loyalty yet... but I might this time.

I head to the main mast. Warren, my second in command is talking to some of the other crew. I left him in charge when I was in town. I trust my crew with my life, but Warren is like a big brother to me. He might be tall and a bit lanky, but he is stronger than he looks. Everything about him seems sweet and docile, his dark brown hair matching his skin, with warm smile on his face. However, being my quartermaster, he carriers out my orders and deals with all punishments on the ship.

I think that it's more powerful to have him seem incapable of hurting a fly, when he can inflict more pain than anyone I know. Coming from the guard, he knows quit a bit about torcher, though we rarely have to use it.

"Warren." I call, and the rest of the men and women around him clear away. "Is there anything to report?" I ask.

"No Cap, everything is going well. We picked up more supplies: medicine, food, some extra wood for any repairs the ship might need, just things like that." He says with his hands behind his back, staring out at the crystal water.

"Good, have you asked Lilim if she thinks we need any other medicine she wasn't able to pick up at port?" I ask.

"I talked to her yesterday after procuring some more plants she asked for, and she made no mention of needing more, but you might want to check with her yourself."

"Will do."

I walk down to the infirmary, placed on the lowest deck, the only thing below it is storage. For Privacy and keeping the cries of the injured drowned out from up on deck. Passing the crews sleeping quarters, filled to the brim with hammocks and floor mats, if you can call them that. Made from the thinest fabric. Its holds up to 16 people, but with the private rooms and the hammocks on the main deck, some of the beds remain empty.