|Chapter Four|

Copyright ©2022_Over Him ✔ Written By OluchiHelen.

>>>>>

April was already worn out long before she'd finished her research on their new competitors product, which seems to be gathering up a lot of attention in the market. With this new competitor out in the open, GRI and co, the company she worked for had fallen into second place. To some people, second place didn't matter but in the world of business, it was either one was in or they were out and opting out was never an option.

Pushing herself off the arm chair where she was seated on, she regards Colt who was glued to the TV screen with little or close to no attention and goes to pour herself some more of the hard brewed coffee she'd made. Lacing the dark liquid with some milk, she stirs it and takes a short sip of it, ignoring the hotness as it rolled down her throat and into her stomach.

Evelyn had taken the rest of the family out with her to go Christmas shopping since it was around the corner and if April knew her mum any better, she knew she'd take her time in shopping for the right things and the more time they spent there, the more anxious she got.

Staring at Colt from across the kitchen, she takes in his handsome but somewhat boy-ish features. He still had that stubble he was growing out on his jaw. At first she had never been one to like it but seeing how manly it made him look, she had easily become a fan of it. The small smile on her face faded away the moment he turned his head to her and held her gaze for a few seconds, the air in her lungs running out.

"What're you looking at?" he asks, clearly amused. "Nothing in particular," she shrugs, distracting herself from his gaze by taking a long drink from the cup in he hand. "Well does that something have a name?" he asks, this time, his voice closer. He was now in the kitchen, staring at her with a mischievous glint in his eyes. "Not really, except you want to name it?" she laughs, turning her back to him and rinsing off her cup. He sneaks up behind her, placing both arms on both sides of her, trapping her in that position. Her breath hitches in her throat for a split second and she tries playing it cool.

"How's work coming along?" he asks lowly and she swallows, trying to push away from him, a tad not comfortable with their position. His hands grip at her thin waist as she attempts backing off of him and tightens again. "You didn't answer my question princess," he murmurs and April doesn't need to turn back to feel the dangerous glint in his eyes. She'd seen that look before. That was the same look he'd given her one night when he slept over at her place, working on a project with her. The night was sweet and a bit steamy but neither of them pushed close to doing anything more than just making out.

"I need to get back to work Colt," she says a bit more firmly this time around. "Well I wanted to keep watching my game but seems like there was a distraction," he replies, placing a slow but teasing kiss to her shoulder.

"Colt, I've got work to do. I can't afford to get fired," she states, trying to keep her legs from giving out. As tempting as he was now, one thing she'd told herself before becoming back home was that she wasn't going to give him another chance to weave his way back into her heart. They was a lot of emotional damage done the last time he did that and look where it ended them. Six years of friendship lost.

She pushes him off her and places her cup into the dishwasher before walking back into the living room, annoyed at his display of affection. For some reason, she was getting pissed off and irritated. There used to be a time when she craved that kind of affection from him but maybe a part of her still saw him as the player he was once was. Maybe nothing had changed and if she gave him another chance, he might ruin everything again.

Settling in front of her laptop, she continues scrolling through for anything else she might have left out.

Colt, on the other hand, stares at her from his position at the other end of the living room, his mind reeling. What had changed? Well that was a dumb question considering where they stood after nearly six year, he thought. There used to be times when she used to love his touch but now it seemed otherwise. As she grazed her fingers over the black keyboard of her laptop, an alarm goes off in his head as he catches sight of the silver diamond ring on her left hand.