|Chapter Seventeen|

Copyright ©2022_Over Him ✔ written by OluchiHelen.
>>>>>

•April's Pov •

By the following morning, the cold had gotten somewhat better. The joint aches and dryness in my throat were almost gone, the running nose I'd started developing hours ago had also disappeared.

Even though I armed to be recovering pretty fast, I knew I had to take it slow. I had to much to worry about to fall sick again.

With today being a Sunday, I was expecting Rachael to show up like she always did and just when I was beginning to think that she wouldn't show up to insist I came with her, while I was brewing myself some tea, there was a familiar knock on the door.

Maybe if I kept quiet, she'd think I wasn't home.

Silently I shuffled around the kitchen, pulling out cups and bread to make something light for breakfast. Pouring out the rich brown liquid, I add a bit of milk and a teaspoon of sugar to it before stirring it gently, making sure that my spoon never hit the ceramic cup.

Minutes later, she knocks again, banging hard against the door and in a sing-song she says, "I know you're home April. C'mon Jesus loves you too!!"

I didn't know if to take her seriously since the key she was using sounded very off and disturbing to the ear but I still wasn't planning on opening the door. Hopefully one of the neighbours would come out to yell at her.

After ten torturous minutes, the door swings open, much to my surprise and alarm and a cheerful looking -but slightly deranged- Rachael walks in, shutting the door carefully behind her.

Who the heck did she think she was picking my door lock?!

"Hey, I've been knocking on the door since, where have you been?" she pouts, pulling a sad face which doesn't last long before she reaches for a slice of bread but I slap her hand off it.

"What're you doing in my apartment?" I ask, trying to keep my anger and impatience at bay.

"You said you were going to come with me to church today, plus I've already told the other sisters about you coming today. It would be a bad thing if you didn't show up," she replies and for the first time since I'd met Rachael, I wished that I could grab her by the collar and pull her outside.

No violence intended.

I just couldn't stand her again.

"By the way, do you like my hair? I dyed it for Blake," she chirps, whipping her hair over her shoulder and playing with it. Her hair was dyed purple, almost lavender, the tip of her hair, a metallic shade of grey, and somehow she seemed to be rocking the hair just fine. It made her eyes stand out the more.

"You look great! Wow, I've always wanted to dye my hair but I've never had the time to," I reply, getting lost in the beauty and texture of her hair, almost forgetting that Rachael had just picked her way through my lock.

But that was Rachael. She would do something wrong and make you forget by bringing up something intriguing. Typical.

" I could take you to my hair stylist. She's really good."