|Chapter Thirty-Two|

•Patricia's pov•

Even after one week of staying at the camp, I still wasn't tired of the place. There was something welcoming about this place. The people here were nice and I'd met up with a couple of old friends, most of whom were older than me.

Today, Lucy and I were taking a walk along the shores of the lake a mile away from the camp site. That evening a lot of the campers had gathered there for the bonfire and while Jeffrey was busy laughing with his buddies somewhere in the crowd, Lucy and I had slipped out to enjoy a bit of silence.

The night sky was starting to draw in and the sound of insects buzzing was slowly beginning to get louder as we walked towards the lake. There were just a few people about but they looked like they were about leaving.

"So what're your plans with Jeffrey?" I find myself asking as I bend over and throw a pebble into the lake, watching it skid across the lake before sinking.

"Hopefully, we'll get married. I don't think either of us are ready but we're both waiting on the right time. Maybe when things get better for us and we move to a better place somewhere inside of the city, then we can think of starting our own family," she says looking into the distance and even from the light specks of light beaming down on us, I can see how happy she looks.

"Well I hope you guys will find that happy ending." She turns and smiles at me.

"Yeah, we will. We're trusting in God for that." I pinch my brows together in a bit of confusion. She notices my confusion and chuckles lightly.

"Jeffrey and I got baptised. We're christians now." There's more silence but I try to look happy.

"You don't have to act like you're happy. I know you're co-"

"When did that happen?" She shrugs, kicking a pebble in front of her before directing her eyes to meet mine.

"Just a couple months ago and to be honest, ever since then, life got more bearable for me and Jeffrey. A bunch of Jehovah's Witnesses showed up at the camp and a few people here are now christians."

The rest of our walk is a bit chatty as I try to understand what would make her chnsge. I wasn't against the idea but I just didn't believe that there was a God. I mean if there were, then why were we all suffering.

"God really loves all of us but the reason why we don't feel his presence is because of our sins. It's like a barrier and unless we repent and go back to God, we're just going to be drifting off," she replies as we make a U-turn, deciding to call off our night stroll.

"And how do you know he's real?"

She shrugs and stares up at the sky. "The bible says we believe by faith and not by sight. I mean I used to ask myself that question and wonder how God could exist, yet no one's seen him but I guess that's the way it's been and will be."

"Well you're free to believe whatever you want to believe but I don't think he exist." By my response, she frowns and for the rest of the walk back she doesn't say anything. Clearly what I'd said hurt her. It was either that or she was deliberating on it.

If God truly loved us all like Lucy stated, he wouldn't have let me go through such a tough life. Where was he all those time?