|Chapter Twenty-Nine|

Copyright ©2022_Over Him ✔ written by OluchiHelen (Unedited)
>>>>>

Evelyn's pov•

Having Ben home after what felt like forever had to be the best feeling in the world right now. He had been discharged about three days ago and I had planned on holding a big welcome party for him. He deserved it. He'd been through a lot and everyone couldn't wait to see him.

The workers at the bakery and the cafe had all been invited to the party, even Christine and her husband Dave. For the first time in forever, Dave had even given us his word that he would show up.

It would be the first time both men would see eye to eye. How God had done it I didn't know because on several occasions, we'd talked to him and persuaded him to forgive Ben but he remained adamant. Him showing up at the welcome party was a step in the right direction.

Turning off the running water in the kitchen sink, I dry my hands off on my apron and move to get out the tray of doughnuts in the oven. In no orderly manner were trays of cookies, cute little biscuits and cupcakes all lined up and cooling under the fan.

In the centre of all the goodness was a double layered chocolate sponge cake, Ben's favourites with coconut flavoured sprinkles on it. I had taken it upon myself to prepare the cake and decorate it. It paid to learn how to cook. If I hadn't learnt how to bake or cook, I would have paid over two hundred bucks for them all and that included the drinks and bottles of wine.

"Good job mum. Dad's going to love this. He doesn't know right?" I shook my head, giving April a side hug. "Great! Best part of it all is that there's cake!" she hollers playfully and Colt chuckles next to her.

Ever since they'd both showed up, I had noticed how unusually close they'd gotten. Was it because they were living under the same roof? I didn't know. It was cute, I wasn't going to deny that but I wondered if they were finally a couple.

They both seemed to have a new glow about them.

Whatever it was that was going on between the both of them, I was happy for them nonetheless. They both deserved each other.

"Correction, the best part of it all is that your dad's back home." Christine retorts, sauntering into the kitchen.

"Yeah and we thank the Lord for that." A series of Amen and Hallelujah circle around the room.

Taking off my apron, I hang it up and attend to the chicken breasts I'd left to fry a couple minutes ago. Thankfully they weren't burnt yet. Flipping it over, I take out the ones that are already charred and ready to cool off, then replace them in the pan with more chicken breast.

Ben would love these.

As I flipped each chicken about, making sure that neither got burnt, my mind wanders back to the previous day. The cops had shown up, typical of them to ruin someone's day, to inform us that they'd only come to check up on Ben and that he was to appear in court in two weeks.

I hated that we were doing all this again but there was a seed of confidence nestled inside me, sprouting and bearing firm roots. I knew the Lord would do it for us again. We'd just gotten Ben back, we couldn't lose him again and who knew what the judge would say.

"Are you okay? You seem a bit tensed." Christine appears at my side and I sigh wearily, turning away from the hot pan.

"Just a little bit nervous about the court hearing that's coming up in two weeks, that's all." She rubs my back through my sweater.