|Chapter Forty|•

THE MAJOR street leading into the city was far from free. I couldn't even see the end of the line. Whatever was the cause of the traffic, I didn't know but one thing was for sure, I was more than exhausted.

Evelyn and Christine had both called to inform us that they had gotten home and that they were waiting for us to deliver the same news . Unfortunately it had been two hours since we left the airport and dived into traffic.

Turning to look at Colt, I realise he's still fast asleep. Last night had been hectic for the both of us since mother nature found it fit to do a little check in on me. Colt had even volunteered to stay up with me and he was quite of good help since I had been able to fall asleep after an hour of battling the cramps in my stomach and thighs.

Unfortunately, Colt couldn't fall asleep after I'd eventually dozed off, so he'd stayed up most of the night, keeping himself busy by reading some of the novels he'd given to me as a gift.

Now it was my turn to stay awake.

A sigh escapes my lips as I stare at the same old red truck we'd been following for quite sometime. The traffic was crawling pretty slowly and we hadn't even covered up half of our journey back home. At this point I was exhausted and ready to go to bed.

Shifting my attention from the back of the truck in front of us to the glistering promise ring around my finger, I bit the inside of my cheek, preventing a smile from forming.

It had now been over a week since Colt had given me his word that he would make me his and him, mine. Sure, Cherry's words the previous day had sparked up new feelings regarding everything but I was going to stay positive, I'd told myself that.

A part of me was still mad at Cherry for saying that but the truth was that she was a bit realistic. While Colt and I had stayed up the previous night, he'd brought it up. We talked about it and once again, he'd reassured me that he really wanted to do this.

Blinking back the tears forming in my eyes, I tear my gaze away from the ring and reach for my handkerchief which is partially stained with sweat but it doesn't matter.

Turning the air conditioning on, I glance once again at Colt. He really was fagged out! A small pang of guilt spread across my chest and I exhale.

Whenever I thought about how many times Colt had showed up for me, the more I fell harder for him. Unlike me, Colt hadn't bothered hiding his feelings from me. It was all lucid but knowing his history with girls, I had told myself that I simply didn't want to be a part of this.

My eyes travel down to the gold ring around my finger and I almost laugh. Who knew that the one guy I'd been in love with for so long would finally pay attention to me.

I couldn't be anymore grateful for what God was doing for me and my family. Just like he'd promised us, 'He had plans to prosper us and not to harm us'

Plans to prosper us and not to harm us. I keep repeating those words to myself as I slowly edged along with other drivers as the traffic crawled.

•••

"Hey girl, it's been so long. How've you been?" I move in to hug Asher who's walking away from a customer.

"Anything you'd like to order?" She asks and I shake my head.

"I'm just here to help around. I've been promising to stop by and help but I've been too busy," I reply, slipping in through the backdoor.

In the kitchen, Martin was hard at work, working on some pancakes, his brows pinched together in utmost concentration.

"Hey Martin, is Evelyn's around?" He lifts his eyes from the bowl of pancake mix in front of him and smiles.

"Hey kiddo, yeah she's in her office. It's been a while since I saw you around here. How've you been?" He asks.

"Pretty good, just working on some stuff for work but other than that, no sweat," I smile before giving him a pat on the back and reaching for an extra apron.

"We'll catch later. I've been dying to see little Milo now. How old's he again?" I ask and Martin chuckles, wiping his flour stained hands with a clean dish towel.

"He's five years old. You could come visit us for dinner. My wife's been expecting you. You know she's the only person who hasn't seen you since returned right?"

I almost grimace at how bad of a friend I am. "I'll definitely hop by this evening for dinner. I owe her a visit and maybe I'll get some gifts"

"Nah, don't worry about it."

"Okay now I'm definitely getting gifts," I chuckle and he laughs, smiles lines forming at the corners of his eyes.

Strolling into the cafe, I'm greeted by the sound of gentle chattering. Since it was summer, we'd upped our menu and lowered the prices by just a dollar, some by two dollars. It wasn't a lot but at least it was something.

The cafe was busy, even busier than the bakery. Ice cream cones were now for sale and fortunately for me, I would be working that stand. Cherry would definitely not be happy to find out she was cleaning up after the customers, again. It wasn't a pleasant job especially when Evelyn's bookclub ladies would stop by with their kids to have something and obviously a discount was attached to everything they bought, so a lot of them swung by occasionally.

Grabbing a pair of white transparent gloves, I slip them on and turn the closed sign on my station to an open. Minutes after waiting, a small family of three walk up to me.

"Hi, what can I get you?" I ask courteously and the little boy in the man's arms begins to point at something behind me. Turning around, I see a picture of a chocolate ice cream and smile.

Who doesn't like chocolate.

"We'll have three of those and two bagels," the lady says, a bright smile on her face.

Grabbing a biscuit cone from the show glass, I scoop up some chocolate ice cream from the different arrays of ice cream and slap it on the cone. Two more cones later and I'm bagging their bagels up.

Thankfully someone had left the heater on so it was still fresh and warm. Maybe I would get some for myself.

"Thanks for coming, have a nice day." The three of them wave at me before strolling out of the cafe, the little bell above the door jingling as they walked through.

Minutes after they'd left Cherry rushes in, a frown on her face as she tried dusting off something from her hair.

"What happened to you?" She scowls and pulls a small twig from her hair.

"Some nasty bird thought my hair would be perfect for a nest." She tugs at her hair again, her scowl getting deeper, "Making me look like an idiot."

I chuckled at the expression on her face and hand her an apron I'd discovered behind my stand.

"Well now that the birds gone, get to work mate." The realization of it all hits her and she pulls a whiny face.

"Oh c'mon! I would have gotten here before you if it wasn't for that stupid bird," she groans.

"I got here...," I glance at my watch, "Ten minutes before you did. Whether the bird showed up or not, you'd still be working the tables." She scowls one last time at me before taking the apron in my hand and heading towards the back.

~~~~

Just a little cute chapter here. I liked the ending. It kinda showed how my twin sis and I are. Lol. It's cute but sometimes she can get on my nerves.

Thank you once again for reading. Please tap on the little star. It helps and I'll see you in the next chapter. Xoxo.

Btw, feel free to follow me on Instagram (ollen17) A few of my fans have already reached out and we chat everyday. I'd like to meet more of you.

Xoxo