|Chapter Nineteen|

Copyright ©2022_Over Him ✔ written by OluchiHelen.
>>>>

April's pov

Dr. Whites words were very reassuring, calming and had brightened up my day. "All you have to do is sit back and relax. You've done your part by signing the contract and now all that is left to do is to market the company's product. We've got our advertising and marketing team on standby, so that wouldn't be a problem. I'd advice you to enjoy the rest of your leave. Feel free to drive by and see what's going on down here. "

Music to my ears.

After biding him goodbye, I'd stopped by at Cameron's office and then Steph's station for a little bit of chatting before leaving again. As I drove home, I could feel the excitement growing inside of me. I had never had a day off to myself without sending in a report. It was a new feeling and experience, something I couldn't wait too explore.

Minutes after I'd pulled up in front of my apartment and was about getting out, my phone rings and I fish through my purse for it. I really had to take some stuff out of my purse. There were so many unnecessary things in here!

Finally whipping it out, I stare at the screen. It was an unknown number.

"Hello?"

The line crackles with life and stays silent for sometime. Just when I'm about to hang up, since it was starting to feel kinda weird, a voice rings through, "Hi. Is this April Hart?"

I frown and pull the phone away from my ear, stare at the number again before placing it back against my ear. "Yeah, who's speaking?"

"This is Patricia Mayers. You gave me your phone number at the grocery store the other day?" she replies and my eyes widen in shock. Today was definitely full of surprises.

"Oh hey Patricia. How're you doing?" I couldn't even figure out what to tell her. Of course I knew why she was calling but now to approach the topic right now was the problem.

"I'm okay, thanks for asking... Um... You said t-"

"I can come pick you up, if you want?" I suggest and there's a bit of silence on the other line before she responds, "Sure."

"Okay, where exactly are you?" I ask, turning on the ignition. "I'm just a few blocks away from the grocery store at a paid phone booth. I'll be at the grocery store waiting," she replies and I hum.

"Okay. I'll be there in ten."

•••

"Make yourself at home, I'll be right back," I say to her before shutting the door behind her and scurrying into my room.

Never in my life, did I think Patricia Mayer, the Mayor's daughter would be living behind a grocery store in the busy city of Brooklyn New York, begging for food whilst bracing the harsh cold.

Never for once.

She looked tattered and in need of a proper bath. Sure, she wasn't as dirty or shabby looking as the other homeless people I'd seen on the streets but I was pretty sure that in the next two months, she'd look exactly like them.