Chapter 22

Ever since that day, Master Pantalone has acted as he normally does and never talked about the incident since then.

Fortunately for me, he has not mentioned anything about punishing me, and I prefer to keep it that way. One other good bit of news is that the effects of the vision overuse aren't permanent. After I awoke from my nap at the fireplace, everything went back to normal.

As if it never happened in the first place.
My skin had returned to it's usual pale blue tone, and my joints no longer felt like I had arthritis.

Lastly,Master Dottore has asked me to come in to his lab again for monthly check-ups to check for any abnormalities.
He also kind of thanked me for somehow getting Master Pantalone to drop some of the charges.

Whatever that means...

"You've been staring off into space for the past couple of minutes." Childe states from the opposite side of the desk. "What are you thinking of?"

I shake my head in reply. "Nothing important." I mutter as I carried on scribbling diplomatic words onto the paper in front of me. We sit in uncomfortable silence for what felt like long hours before I finally gave in and decided to ask him for his reason.

"Ahem... If I may ask... Childe. What exactly are you doing in my office?" He gives me close eyed smile and enthusiastically replies, "I'm waiting for you to finish working so we can fight after."

Ah,right. Sparring.

"Don't you have your own work to do?" I asked as I took another document that needed to be filled out from the pile beside me. "I've already completed all my work for this week." "Then go fight something else." "Everyone else is too boring and weak." "Go fight the other Harbingers?" "They always ignore my requests for a fight or they're busy." He rebuttalled though instead it made him seem like a neglected child.

Oh archons, give me a break just this once.

"Why me? Isn't there any other strong opponent that you can fight or kill. Like, oh I don't know, the traveller?" I huffed in annoyance before looking back at him. "Listen, it's not like I don't want to train with you. It's just that it's been a hectic couple of days for me and I'd rather avoid anything that causes me physical pain."

"Isn't that to be expected of the work here in the Fatui?" He expression had turned serious. In turn,he leaned back into the chair and crossed his legs."I thought you of all people would know things like that were inevitable in this place." He rested his head on his fist and sat there confidently. His dull blue eyes bore right into me and it scares me. But of course, I didn't show it.

"Anyway, care to tell me what happened? Does this have to do with Pantalone asking Dottore for 1 million Mora?" His attitide had drastically changed into that of a small, curious puppy. The contrast of his different sides was immaculate. And minute he seems like he could kill you and the next he's like this.

So it dropped to 1 million, huh? Well it's better than nothing, he would've charged 3 million if I hadn't interfered.

"Well long story short, I... malfunctioned during an experiment that the Doctor was performing and it had some painful side effects." I casually answered as I got up to take a file from one of the bookshelves.
"What sort of side effects?" He asked curiously. "You'll find out sooner or later." I smiled ominously.

Truthfully, I hoped that day would never come again. It was a horrible and painful experience and I would never do it again. But to do that I'd have to limit the use of my vision. But that can cause me a huge inconvenience and disadvantage during long missions.

So troublesome...

"OK, so if you don't want to spar what about an obstacle course at the training grounds?" He proposed once more. "I already said no and I still haven't fully recovered yet from the experiment." I strictly told him.