Chapter 34

After spending the entire evening in my hotel room making a detailed plan in my head on how I would handle everything tommorow, I had finally come up with the best deals I could possibly think at the moment.

But after all of that, I had gotten hungry and so had no choice but to exit my room to get a bite to eat. Making sure I put my mask on,I headed to the hotel's restaurant, where there were only a few people gathered. Luckily there didn't seem to be any of the more rowdy recruits who would usually get heavily drunk on fire water. Therefore maintaining the peaceful and classy atmosphere a bar would usually have.

I sat at the bar of the restaurant where the bartender was cleaning up. "Why hello there, what would you like to drink?" He smiled charmingly at me as he wiped a glass, but there were visible tiredness in his eyes. "Any mocktail that you'd reccomend is fine. Also, one strawberry shortcake." I tossed him a pouch of mora nonchalantly and flipped my hair off my shoulder.

"Keep the change, consider it compensation for putting up with the louder ones." I told him. "I figured you were one of them with that mask." He smiled sheepishly. "But it's honestly no problem, the more of them that come the more commission I earn."

His back turned to me as he speedily started prepping my drink. Even from behind, you could tell he was skilled with his hands. Not to mention, he was rather good-looking. "So, have you come here on business as well?" He peeked a glance at me over his shoulder, keeping his casual tone.

"You could say that. Though I don't see how that's any of your concern." I say, resting my cheek on my palm. He brushes off my coldness by laughing it off, he places a straw into the ice-blended drink and passes the purple and blue colored drink to me.

"It's a wolfhook and blueberry mocktail with a hint of mint in it. Enjoy." He smiles at me again and leans his body against the wooden table expectantly to see my reaction. I lift the drink up to my lips, but it is blocked by the ceramic material of my mask.

Oh right, I forgot about this thing. This stupid thing gets in the way of so many things...

Then, a muffled laugh is heard beside me from the bartender. How embarassing. I ignore him and lift my mask up to reveal only the lower half of my face and take a sip of the drink. "You're surprisingly cute for someone with such a scary mask." He comments.

So I coldly told him in return,"I didn't know it was your job to comment on your customer's appearances. And don't you have a strawberry shortcake to get to?"
I returned his smile at me with one of my own. "OK OK I'll back off. Forgive me for my impudence." He returns in a mockery of formality, he then turns to leave to the door leading to what I'm assuming is the kitchen.

The door behind him flickers shut, meaning I can finally take off this thing on my face for a little bit. Before anything else, I check to make sure no one is looking before placing the mask at the side of my head and gulp down the entire drink down my throat.

Though I can't feel the coldness of the drink, the texture of the ice and fruity flavors are enough to satisfy me. After wiping my lips of any residue, I quickly fix my mask back onto my face. Footsteps from the door are heard and the bartender emerges with the plate of cake that I've been waiting for.

"Your Strawberry shortcake,Madam." He gently places the nicely decorated cake in front of me with a dessert fork. "Please remember to remove your mask before you dine." He teases me.

"Haha, so funny." I roll my eyes.

"Don't be like that. Well I'll leave you to it, enjoy." He waved as he went to the back again, leaving me alone. With no one around, I could eat comfortably as I usually do. And as soon as the lovable taste of strawberries flooded onto my tongue, I was happily munching away with a small smile.