Chapter 39

Through the heavy and chilling atmosphere created at the start of our conversation, Agatha and I look at each other intensely yet differently. While I was calm and unbothered by her crass mannerisms, she looked at me as if I had committed the act of murder of her loved ones right in front of her very eyes and was ready to enact the same.

Well, I did kill an entire platoon of her own hired soldiers and then threatened to kill her too but I don't think she's mad about that. 

I sigh wistfully at her scornful glare. "So much hostility for someone in such a powerless position, you look as though you'd like to impale me with a metal rod. Don't you remember that I'm the one who has spared you from the fate your soldiers had met?" I frostily bite back at her, my vision glows emanating a soft blue light as the temperature around us begins to drop at a rapid rate. Though I couldn't feel it myself, Agatha had begun to shiver and rub her arms for warmth against the frigid cold of her surroundings. The chattering of her own set of teeth was visible for me to see as her jaw vibrated in quick motions.

Glacier dusts the corners of the room and begins growing rapidly on the ceiling, floor and table, I sit still in my seat and look at her dead in the eyes with my head slightly lowered in a harsh sneer at her.

"Know your place, con woman."

A gust of wind from nowhere now swirls upon the room and Agatha begins to shake in her seat even more violently than before. I am unsure if it's because she's on the verge of getting frostbite or if she's deathly terrified for her life right now or if it's because I've made her angrier than before. Heck, it could be all three and I couldn't care less. I'm enjoying the facial expressions she's exhibiting as I toy with her and make tiny flicks of ice prick at her skin. 

If she wasn't afraid before, she definitely is now.

But it has to end, unfortunately. Otherwise, she'd be as stubborn as an old mule on the rocky and dangerous alps of Snezhnaya's mountains, unwilling to make a move because I've pushed her too far and in return refuses to cooperate. I ease up and allow the temperature to return back to normal, the ever-growing glaciers retract their fine detailed patterns and return to dust. Not a single one leaves a stain or a puddle as they go, almost evaporating into the air along with the cold winds that were pulsing through me a minute ago.

Agatha breathes relieved that the cold is no longer there and the warmth has now returned. My ruthless demeanour is replaced with another one of my empty smiles (which she still couldn't see as I still had my mask on).

"But I'm not here tonight to give you a lecture on your past crimes. What matters now is the present. With that being said, you should already know why I'm here, yes?" 

Agatha makes a disgruntled sound with her throat and fidgets with her fingers in front of her, flicking off the cells off her skin's dermis while still being cautious around me. "Is this about what you said back at the factory? How will you be able to conceal something as big as that? Just what exactly are you planning?" She bombards me with questions of her own. " I know for a fact that a secretary such as yourself would be in hot oil if you were to withhold information from your own master."

So she's not a complete idiot after all. That's good, I need observant people, not blundering fools who don't know what they're doing.

"Who said anything about misinforming? I can tell him exactly what went down to cause the fight but he doesn't have to know about what happened during the whole situation. Nobody was there but us and all the guards who did witness the scene are dead. The attendants who were with me had no clue what was going on besides knowing we were attacked."

"So far, the only thing they saw from their eyes was that there was a threat to our operation. As for who initiated the attack, that's still an unknown variable to them. Sure they could assume that it was your people but there's no confirming it. The bodies of your soldiers were nowhere to be seen for their eyes to witness. Only their blood."