Chapter 23

I made my way to Master Scaramouche's section of the palace. While roaming through the hallways, I was greeted by some fellow colleagues. Some asked me for favors, some just wanted to say hello.
Seeing this, it was a relief to say my reputation hadn't plummeted for the worse after the abyss incident. It would've been difficult to raise it all the way back up to where it is today.

This way, it would be easier to betray them from the inside.

Once I reached where I was headed, I climbed up the stairway leading to his office and knocked on the door. "What?!" Scaramouche's voice rang painfully loud through my ears even though it was from the other side from the door.

"Master Scaramouche, it's me. May I enter?" I called out. Just then, the door opened by itself to reveal a pair of indigo eyes glaring at me in irritation. "Oh it's just you. Have you done as I asked?" "Yes. I've sent the folder to Master Pantalone and got his signed approval. He sent me here to give this to you." I handed him the slip which he snatched away from my hands.

Rude...

Thinking that was all,I decided to leave first. "I'll be taking my leave now, Master Scaramouche." I bowed to him once more before turning on my heel. "Wait." I was caught by surprise when he stopped me by grabbing my wrist and forcefully pulled me back. Confused, I looked back at him to see what the problem was. "Um, is there something wrong, my Lord?" I asked with a raised brow.

Get your hands off me you fatui scum.

"You..." He suddenly said. "Y-yes?" "What's your relationship with Tartaglia?" He asked. When I had realized what he meant, I hitched a breath.

Exactly how long was he listening in on us?

"Master Childe and I merely have an employer-employee relationship. That is all.Why do you ask?" I asked with a close-eyed smile.
"Calling him without honorofics doesn't seem very formal now does it?" He eyed me with caution and tightened the grip on my wrist.

"Ah, well. You know how Master Childe is with formalities." I quickly defended while not breaking eye contact. But why does he care about this anyway? He never bothers if it's about Childe.

He still didn't seem very convinced and stared at me a while longer. Feeling uncomfortable and frankly awkward, I tried to pry his grip away from my wrist. "Um.. If there's nothing else, I really have to get going. So please release me.." I said in a hushed and shy voice.

He must've realized he was still holding on to me and let go immediately. A red mark had formed where his hand once was, but it wasn't sore or anything. He didn't say a word after that and slammed the door to his office closed. Leaving me here in the middle of the hallway confused at what just happened.

What was that all about?

Oh well, it's probably nothing to be concerned about.

Anyway, it's cake time!

-----
The next day when I came into work, Master Pantalone informed me about a meeting with the present Harbingers who were in Snezhnaya.

I really didn't want to go. But it's not like I can object anyway.

"The meeting of the Harbingers has now commenced. Report your findings." In a gruff and loud voice, the leader of the Harbingers sat at the end of the table. Just his voice alone was enough to set everyone into complete silence.

The rest of the meeting went on to talk about missions that were given by the Tsaritsa herself, budgets, and the progress that was being made on the hunt for the Gnosis. All the while, I assisted in handing Master Pantalone notes and necessary information to him.