The Numbness of Searing Pain

(Their is a four episode time jump)

As surgeons we live in a world of worst-case scenarios. We cut ourselves off from hoping for the best because too many times the best doesn't happen. But every now and then something extraordinary occurs ...

(Cristina is sitting on her bed playing with her ring. George and Callie are in the elevator. Izzie and Bailey are outside of SGH looking at the sign that says Denny Duquette memorial clinic. Isabelle is in the studio getting a morning dance in)

...and suddenly best-case scenarios seem possible.

............

Izzie: Eight days, eight million dollars

Bailey: And we are open for business.

And every now and then...something amazing happens.

(Ellis is at the nursing home, Meredith is watching her.)

Mrs. Henry: She woke up this morning completely aware. She's her old self. It happens. Medically we don't know why. It's just a random gift.

Meredith: So she's lucid? She remembers?

Mrs. Henry: Pretty much everything except the last five years. And of course she doesn't realize she has Alzheimer's. We thought she should hear it from you.

Meredith: So, she'll know me? I'm gonna walk in there and she'll know who I am?

Mrs. Henry: She's been asking for you.

And against our better judgment, we start to have hope.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I get to work I am put on Burkes case, I am grateful as this means I am not on clinic duty.

Burke and I walk into the ambulance bay where a patient is being unloaded, all of a sudden we see Meredith come out with her mother Ellis as the patient.

Meredith: She had sub-sternal chest pains...

Ellis: ...chest pains and sycopy. My pace was in the 200's but that rate has resolved on it's own.

I help Meredith out of the ambulance.

Meredith: She's completely lucid.

I raise my eyebrows in awe.

Burke: She's what...

Meredith: She's aware. She's herself again.

(They enter the hospital)

Ellis: My god, is this... are we in Seattle Grace?

Meredith: Yes mom, this is where I'm doing my residency.

Burke: Your daughter is one of our finest interns. Following in your very big footsteps.

I smile at Meredith.

Ellis: Do you know a Richard Webber? Is he still a doctor here?

Isabelle: What the Chief?

Ellis: Richard Webber's the Chief? Of surgery?

I am now doing tests and a check-up on Ellis.

Ellis: You and Meredith are good friends? I can tell. Because you're afraid to look at me. As if I might ask you some personal question about her and you'll accidentally slip. But you don't do anything accidentally, do you? Has Meredith chosen a specialty?

Isabelle: That's a personal question?

Ellis: For surgeons, the most personal question you can ask. It tells you who they are.