Chapter 4

Gerard pov
*the next day*
"Can I ask you something? About yesterday." Frank murmured.
His entire demeanor changed to uncomfortable and hesitant.
"Of course." I replied instantly. Even though I don't want to remember the frightening situation of Frank about to throw himself off a roof. I care for him deeply.
He swallowed loudly, was he nervous?
"What would you do if you were....too late?" His question shocked me. Honestly, I didn't know the answer.
I inhaled the sweet smoke of my cigarette, before removing it from my lips and blowing the smoke out in the form of a sigh.
"I don't know." I answered uncomfortably as I tried to put myself in yesterday shoes and a slightly different outcome to the situation.
"At first, I would be terrified. I-I'd be really upset. Overwhelmingly sad."
"Why?" He cut in.
I could tell he was looking for a certain answer. Maybe he's having a difficult time believing I care.
"Look, you think I've never given a damn about you since yesterday and you're wrong. I've just never approached you,-Im sorry." I felt myself getting slightly upset.
"The other day when I saw those dicks bullying you, I just got mad. I told myself I'd watch out for you more. I didn't know you were suicidal or else I would have talked to you sooner."
He smiled slightly at my reply. I was happy I was saying all the right things. His smile curved into a straight line and he said,"I don't want to go back to school. Ever." He bit is lip and his gaze left my eyes and went down to the floor.
"I know, but we must. I'll be right there the entire time." I assured him, while I soothingly rubbed my hand up and down his back.
He looked up and gave me a skeptical look.
"I've always seen you as the introverted, yet badass kid who always kept to himself, mostly because he thought he was better than everyone else. It's warming to know you have a heart." He joked...kinda.
I chuckled, understanding what he meant.
"I guess I have a reputation." I admitted, placing my almost finished cigarette back into my mouth.
"It's not a bad one." He contradicted.
"It's not a good one either." I snickered, spitting out the nub of nicotine and putting it out against the concrete of my porch.
He laughed and rolled his eyes at our miniature argument. I felt a small sense of pride knowing I made him laugh and feel happy.
"I like your laugh." I blurted out without thinking.
He immediately blushed fifty shades of pink and mumbled an almost silent, "Thanks."

*Later*
"I know this is a lot to ask, but can I stay again? You've already done so much for me so I'll understand if you want me to leave."
"Of course you can stay!" I said quickly. Maybe too quickly. He gave me a strange look with a hint of a smile, but it disappeared.
"I'd go home, but my mother and father were arguing about me." I wanted desperately to know more, but I've dabbled enough in his personal affairs for one day.
"I'll sleep on the couch." He offered.
"Nonsense! We can share my bed. If it gets uncomfortable, let me know and I'll sleep on the couch." He gave me a thankful look and nodded in agreement to my proposal. We both climbed into my fairly large bed. I put the blankets over the both of us, but gave him most of it just to ensure he was at home and comfortable.
I could tell when he fell asleep because his breathing went to a slow, steady rate and he was softly mumbling things in his drowsy state.
Only yesterday did this boy want to jump off a roof and end it all! Now he's snuggled into the arms of an acquaintance.
"Sweet dreams, Frank." I whispered, then lightly placed my lips to his forehead.
It's probably the most lip contact I'd ever get with him. Just friends, I told myself over and over. I eventually fell asleep dreaming about him.