Chapter 19

Gerard pov

Frank fell asleep and I managed to wiggle out from underneath him without waking him. I walked down the hall cringing at every creak the floorboards made. I entered the kitchen and my mom sat at the table sipping coffee and texting. "Hey mom...coffee at night?" I questioned.

"Yeah, I have to go back into work tonight I'm afraid. Gotta be awake! I'm going to leave once I see Mikey." She sighed taking another sip of coffee. She looked so tired. It killed me, she works so hard and gets so little. She has a good job but all the money goes to paying off her debt....

"So are you sure you're okay with Frank being here....I mean, we're together so I understand if you're not in love with the idea..." I just want to make sure she's with Frank and I 100%.

She gave me a warm smile and petted my hair then placed a soft kiss on my head. "I'm perfectly fine with it. Frank is a lovely kid, Gerard. He needs you right now. Besides, I can tell how much you care for him. Love him."

"Love...you think I love him? We haven't been together that long and..." I babbled timidly not knowing where u was going with my sentence.

"I know my son better than He knows himself. The way you look at him and talk about him. Face it Gerard, you'd jump off a cliff and sell your soul for Frank. To me, that's love. Sacrificing your time and giving unconditional comfort and care. Never giving up on that person no matter what they say or do to you."

I smiled at how much her words made sense. But I don't know what love is so I can't really know if I feel that way about Frank. I know I like him a hell of a lot, but love?!

Do I love Frank? I mean yes, mom was right, I'd do anything for Frank, but is that love? I mean we comfort and worry about each other. Well, I worry about Frank more than he does me I suppose, but do you blame me? Especially since earlier... Is he okay? My palms sweat just thinking about if he was contemplating about that awful day that felt like so long ago...

"Oh and Gerard, Frank can stay here as long as he wants to on two conditions.." She began. I nodded and waited for her to continue. "First! no cheeky business! Do you understand what I mean?" She asked sternly. I nodded feeling my cheeks burn with slight embarrassment. "And second, if Frank wants to go home let him. I know he's had some family issues, but he'll need to face them at some point. Don't keep him from that just because you're worrying too much." She pointed a finger at me.

"okay? But mom his dad is-"

"Abusive. I know it's unbearable to think about, but he can't run forever...." Her voice shook nervously at the topic of child abuse. Though, she just met Frank and I could already tell she cared about his well being.

"Okay I understand." I didn't understand. She's crazy! Frank isn't going back there.

I went back down stairs to the sleeping Frank. He looked peaceful which gave me some peace of mind. I climbed in next to him and wrapped my arms around him. I couldn't resist the urge to kiss the back of his hair.

I laid awake and I could hear the faint sound of the front door opening which I assume was Mikey. I could hear the faint muffled sounds of their conversation. I yawned which made Frank stir around in his sleep. I smiled cause now we were facing each other and I could look at his face.

Pretty soon my droopy eyelids got the best of me and I drifted into sleep.

When I awoke up mom was gone. It was nice of her to visit to be honest.

I cringed because it was a Monday morning. The last thing I wanted to do was go to school. "Morning." I sighed as I joined Mikey, Frank and, Ray in the kitchen.

"Morning" they all replied. Mikey sounded like he was talking from among the dead.

"Did you stay up late last night with mom?" I asked him. He lifted his head off the table.

"Not really, She left at like 9:00pm to go back to work, then Ray came over and spent the night."

"Oh, well, you might wanna drink coffee or redbull because sleeping apparently doesn't count as a part of the educational curriculum." Frank snickered.

"Though it should be." Ray mumbled as he rubbed his eyes. There was a soft honk from outside indicating the school bus was here. We all got up and made our way outside.

I looked over at Frank. He looked pale and sweat glistened on his forehead. He always seems to get like this on Mondays. I grabbed his hand and gave it a comforting squeeze. His eyes met mine and we exchanged nervous looks. "It'll be okay." I murmured into his ear.

"I just have a bad feeling about today...." He gulped.

"You'll be okay. Mondays are just hard." I squeezed his hand again before letting it go.