Chapter 19: Frostbitten Night

(Y/n)'s POV

Once Valerie was accepted into our group, we waisted no time trying to track down North. After getting permission from Terra, we made our way to Seliana. The snow fell from the empty night sky as the stars shined higher above, making it difficult to discern what were stars and what was snow.

Cody: damn, it's so cold.

Kyanna: I know, I LOVE IT!

(Y/n): alright, we'll start our search for North tomorrow, until then we should head to our assigned quarters and rest up.

Everyone: got it.

I then turned to Ruin and Valerie, who've been silent this whole time.

(Y/n): something wrong?

Ruin: no...it's just that I haven't really been here since we all separated. It's kind of...

(Y/n): nostalgic?

Ruin: y-yeah.

(Y/n): well, once we find North, hopefully he'll be willing to cooperate with us enough that you 3 can patch things up.

Ruin: I don't think you get it.

She turned to Valerie.

Ruin: go on ahead with the others, we'll catch up.

Valerie: y-you got it.

Valerie ran ahead to join the others.

(Y/n): so...why did you guys split up in the first place?

Ruin: it's...kind of a long story. Like I've already said, me, North, and Val separated from the other hybrids after we made our escape, but after that, we split up too. North suggested that we just leave The New World and start fresh. I could see where he thought this'd be a good idea, but my instincts were just itching at the thought of him thinking he was in charge. So I told him that we should stay and rule it with an iron fist after taking it from The Red Queen. We argued back and forth for days until we'd both had enough and went our separate ways. The whole time Valerie tried to stop us and get us to act more rationally, but we just tuned her out.

(Y/n): you only wanted to rule The New World because you wanted to be in charge, didn't you?

Ruin: ...yeah.

(Y/n): and how long ago was that?

Ruin: I don't know, at least a year, give or take a few months.

(Y/n): well, it sounds like you hold a bit of remorse for splitting up like that.

Ruin: back then North and Val were the closest thing I had to friends. I wouldn't be surprised if he hates me.

(Y/n): look if what you're saying is true, and you actually feel bad for driving North and Valerie away, then I'm sure he'd like to hear it. Hell, back in The Old World I had something kinda similar going on.

Ruin: seriously?

(Y/n): sort of, back when me and the other hybrids escaped our facility, we'd accidentally left 3 others behind. 1 of them absolutely loathed me with every fiber of her being, but...after I told her she was being lied to, she caved, kneeling on the ground crying her eyes out. I remember when I knelt down in front of her and hugged her as tight as I could. I may not have been there for her when she needed help, but I was there when she needed a shoulder to cry on. And now she's one of my most trusted friends and she like a sister to me.

Ruin: huh...

(Y/n): so, in conclusion, mistakes you made in the past can easily be over shadowed by making up for them in the present. At least that's how I see it.

Ruin: thanks, I...kinda needed that.

(Y/n): Don't mention it, just means you owe me a pep talk next time I need one.

She laughed.

(Y/n): now come on, the others are waiting for us.

Timeskip brought to you by chibi (y/n) and chibi Ruin stomping through the snow

After arriving in our newly assigned quarter, me and Ruined walked in to find everyone sitting on the floor. Kestin and Finn were sitting in front of each other, playing what looked to be gin rummy. Nara, Erma and Scarlet were reading, Rex and Rin seemed to be getting their daily workout in, and the rest were just laying on the floor, bored out of their minds.

(Y/n): hey guys.

Everyone: hey.

I began looking around the room, it was a nice place. Definitely and upgrade from our old room, which may as well have been a storage closet.

 Definitely and upgrade from our old room, which may as well have been a storage closet

I kept looking around, until I noticed something.

(Y/n): guys, where's the bed.

Scarlet: Rex and Finn were fighting over who would get the bed, so Blaze set it on fire and I threw it over the ledge outside.

I walked outside and looked over the edge, and sure enough, there was a flaming mattress and bed frame at the bottom. I took a deep breath.

(Y/n): I'm not even gonna bother with this one.

Blaze: hey, if they're gonna fight over who gets it, then no one gets it. Them's the rules.

(Y/n): whatever, I just wish we didn't have to sleep on the floor.