Chapter 20: Being Watched

(Y/n)'s POV

The morning after having to sleep on the floor with blankets and the carpet as a makeshift mattress, be honest we've all done it at least once, me and Rex were sitting in the gathering hub, chowing down on breakfast. I was on my 3rd plate...or maybe my 4th, when Ruin walked over and SLAMMED her hand on the table, scaring the shit out of Rex, causing him to drop the sandwich he was eating.

Rex: my sandwich...it was innocent.

We all stayed silent as Rex knelt down in front on his broken sandwich on the floor.

Ruin: ...um, anyway-

Rex: SHH...I must grieve.

After about a minute Rex finally sat up

Ruin: ya done?

Rex: yep.

She sighed.

Ruin: alright, anyway today we'll be scouting out the Hoarfrost to find North.

(Y/n): ok, anything we should know before we head out, like what kind of hybrid is he.

Ruin: he a Velkhana hybrid. An elder dragon capable of controlling cold itself.

Finn: that sounds kind of overpowered.

Ruin: yeah, but he has his limits. North tends to be pretty allusive, you won't be able to find him unless he wants you to find him.

I took another bite of my food.

(Y/n): so how do you propose we find him exactly.

Ruin: good question, we could go with the old "make him come to us" tactic.

(Y/n): eh, don't fix what ain't broken I guess.

Rex: there's just one problem.

Ruin: oh yeah, what's that?

Rex: most of us don't know the layout of the Hoarfrost Reach. Rin and Aiko are the only ones from our group to go and they didn't really have time to go sightseeing. That and I'm guessing you and Valerie may not have been there in awhile.

Ruin: ...yeah, I don't really remember the layout all that well.

Rex: that's what I thought.

Ruin: WELL SORRY I'M NOT A CARTOGRAPHER!

(Y/n): anyway, so we're gonna need somebody who's an expert on the layout of the Hoarfrost Reach.

As if on cue, all 3 of us began to hear a quiet yet audible chuckling. We all turned to its source, only to see a familiar hunter sitting at a table in a shadowy corner of the gathering hub.

Pierce: hahaha, looks like you guys could use a guide

Pierce glanced up at us before walking towards our table.

Pierce: well, it just so happens that I've been to the Hoarfrost Reach countless times on research missions, so I know the place like the back of my hand.

Rex: ...no.

Pierce: OH COME ON!

Rex: you really think we'd accept your help after you bad mouthed us to our faces?

Pierce: hey, I'm offering to help you guys find your new informant, and as far as I know, you guys don't have any other options! So either you take my offer or you guys go into the reach blind!

I thought for a second.

(Y/n): he does have a point.

Rex: dude, you can't be serious.