Chapter 21: Avalanche

(Y/n)'s POV

We continued our way through the Hoarfrost Reach in search of North, the sound of snow crunching underneath our feet lessened as we enter a particular part of the region. The ground that was once blanketed in snow was now replaced by a hard, stone floor, steam rose from the edges as geysers of boiling water blasted into the air.

Pierce: watch your step in this area, the geysers here have sent me flying more than a few times, and it's a hard fall.

Our group walked further into the area, being extra careful not to step on any unnoticed geysers. Sure, if we did get sent flying there'd probably be someone else to catch us, but would you take that chance?

Anyway, as we cautiously trekked through, I could've sworn I'd heard the sound of multiple footsteps coming from nearby. It was odd, I could hear a few extra pairs of footsteps, but they were to quiet and drawn out that I could barely distinguish them from the others around me.

I quickly stopped walking and ordered everyone else to do the same.

(Y/n): stop!

Everybody in my squad halted before looking at me, some with confusion, others with concern. I turned to Scarlet.

(Y/n): you hear that too, right?

She appeared confused before her ears suddenly perked up and she to where I could now hear the source of the footsteps, we all looked up at the cliff across the area from us. Just then, the footsteps stopped. There was a brief silence, only broken by the geysers bursting around us.

Suddenly, 3 figures leapt from the cliffs edge, landing a few yards away from us. I looked over to pierce, only to see him shaking.

Pierce: ...it...it's them!

They stood up revealing their faces to us.

The one standing on the right was a slender boy with horns jutting out from his forehead. A mischievous smile was stead across his face as his orange feather covered tail swayed from side to side. As he stared us down with his bright orange eyes, he lightly tugged the blue scarf around his neck

 As he stared us down with his bright orange eyes, he lightly tugged the blue scarf around his neck

The one on the left was well built with scales resting at the top of his like a helmet. Around his neck were a bunch of those same black scale that landed on our ship before we arrived in the new world. His eyes shifted between all of us and he crossed his arm and seem to be composing himself.

 His eyes shifted between all of us and he crossed his arm and seem to be composing himself