Under the clouds

Y/N screamed her rage into her pillow. Link- her friend- had lied to her and betrayed her. She yelled into the pillow shouting curse words, until she could shout no more. Y/N threw the pillow across her room, it landed on a stack of books.

Link could go ahead and die for all she cared. Wait- no... she did care, as much as she hated him at the moment. She would show him up- by being the one to rescue Zelda, her best friend.

She opened her window, fortunately Y/N resided on the 1st floor. She hoisted her legs up and used her arms to push herself out. She landed on dewy grass, her legs stinging a little. She had a satchel and was dressed in a fresh tunic. 

She ran around the academy, back to the entrance. She kicked Link's door open, served him right, and took his training sword. The sword was a backup plan in case the running and kicking didn't work. Y/N turned to leave, but then something stopped her.

With a burst of energy, she ran to Link's bed and threw the pillows on the floor. She messed up his duvet and scattered his books on the floor. Lastly, she opened his closet and took the 5 rupees and vitality potion that rested there.

"Suck on that, Link" She smiled to herself and shut the door behind her. She headed for her mother's house, it was close to Pipit's house. She stepped onto the bright blue welcome mat and knocked on the pinkish mahogany door. Her mother opened it and gushed when she saw her one child.

"Y/N! What a nice surprise! I heard of the terrible news about Zelda from headmaster Gaepo-" she smiled apologetically. Y/N interrupts her mother "I came to say goodbye..."

immediately her mother's smile vanishes "But-... What...?" she gasps. Y/N smiles at her sadly "Link has gone to find Zelda. He went into the surface on his own. I need to go after him- to help Zelda! And be there in case.... Link needs me."

"The SURFACE?! It's too dangerous!" her mother stroke's her hair and adjusts her tunic. Y/N sighs "You know Link would do the same... And I have to get my friend back! She doesn't deserve this! I don't have much time, mother!"

The lady sighs and thinks for a moment, before hurrying to the kitchen and rummaging in one of the drawers. She comes back with a beautiful white cloth, it has a blue loftwing embroidered on it.

"It' so you land safely below the clouds. Loftwings don't go below the cloud barrier." Y/N's mother smiles, closing Y/N's hands on the cloth.

Y/N's eyes tear up "I love you!" she gives her mother a huge hug. "I promise to come back" Y/N's words are muffled by her mother's shoulder. "You'd better," Her mother says, sternly, before breaking into a smile "Now, You go show them up!"

Y/N nods, and her mother shows her out of the door. Y/N smiles and waves to her mother, who tearily waves back. Once the door shuts, Y/N turns ahead to her future.

Y/N runs to the nearest flight landing, which happens to be at the plaza. She stops to catch her breath and then looks up at the tall tower in the middle. She bids it farewell by giving the tower a salute, knowing full well that it's stupid. Just as she stops at the edge of the landing, a voice calls out to her.

"Y/N!"

Y/N turns around to see Pipit standing below the tower, he waves her over. "Where do you think you're off to?" He says with a grin. "Link has gone to find Zelda. But I don't trust him." Y/N replies. 

Pipit raises a brow "Without armour? Link's knight uniform has chainmail armour under it. You can't just waltz to who knows where with just a tunic!" he crosses his arms. Y/N adjusts her satchel "Well, I don't have enough money for a shield!" she says. Pipit smiles "Take mine! It's a wooden shield- so don't let it catch on fire!"

"Thank you- but, that's too kind!" Y/N protests. Pipit forces the round shield into her hands "I've got tons of shields! Besides- you're going to need it." Y/N reluctantly takes the shield "Thank you so much! Here," She takes the 5 rupees she stole from Link out of her satchel and offers them to Pipit.

"It's all I have. Please- take it!" Pipit shakes his head  at this remark from Y/N "Since when do friends pay each other?" He asks with another grin. Y/N cracks a smile for the first time since the ceremony "Thank you, Pipit."

And with that she runs and jumps, putting her hand to her lips to whistle for her loftwing. sure enough, Pear dives to her and catches her swiftly. Y/N's heart flutters as it always does when she gets caught.

"Good luck!" Pipit calls out from below. Y/N smiles and waves at him, Pipit really is nice!

She scans the horizon for any sign of where Link could've gone. She sees a crimson dot on the horizon close to a turquoise beam of light making a hole in the cloud barrier.

Y/N shakes her head in disbelief. What the heck was Link up to? "C'mon Pear!" She urges, steering her loftwing towards the beam of light, the Crimson dot wasn't there anymore. Link had probably jumped. Was he crazy?!

The wind blows Y/N's hair and she watches the clouds whizz by and Pear dives towards the beacon. She takes out the cloth her mother gave her to have it at hand when the right moment came. 

The beacon came into the right distance. Y/N gave her loftwing one last affectionate pat, before jumping off Pear and into the cloud barrier. 

The fall gives her a sense of fear, like never before. She sees grass down below, and trees- lots of them! She can't open the cloth now- it would be too slow, so she had to fall until she was a few meters off the grass. At the last moment, Y/N opened her cloth and suddenly her fall had slowed to a glide.

Her boots hit the grass with a dull thud.

She blinked a few times before looking around.

She saw grass of a lusher green than in skyloft, the grass was teaming with colourful flowers being tended to by the most beautiful butterflies. The wind shook the leaves on the millions of trees making a soothing sound. She breathed in and smelled damp earth and the sweet scent of flowers. So this... was the surface...

Y/N turned around, joyfully- but then she saw something.

She saw Link, staring at her.

"Y/N!" He reached out to her with his gloved hand. But Y/N turned away, feeling the hatred and betrayal rise once again.

"Link." She said coldly.