Stay

Y/N looked from Groose to Link, uncomfortably. Link merely scowled at him, in a defensive stance, while Groose glanced at Y/N. She intervened "Uh, Link... Groose and I have sorted out our differences and become friends," she said slowly, as if Link were a ticking time bomb.

'Since when?' was the unsaid message Link's eyes gave her. Y/N swallowed thickly "Since you... since you left." she said quietly, hoping that Link wouldn't kill Groose. 

Y/N suddenly looked behind Link "Wait... where's Zelda?" her tone gave way to fear. Link closed his eyes for a second, mentally preparing himself for his answer. Y/N clutched his arm in hope and Groose's eyes shone expectantly. 

"Gone."

"G-... Gone?" 

Link sucked in a deep breath "I followed her across the whole of the surface. Through the forest, through the volcano and through the desert. When I finally saw her..." Link rubbed at his eyes "She left the face of this earth." Y/N sank her nails into Link's sleeve "What?! So she's DEAD-?!"

Link gently removed himself from Y/N's hold "Worse, she's gone back into time." he said, wearily. It was now that Y/N noticed Link's dishelved hair and the dark circles around his eyes, when was the last time he had slept?? Y/N instantly felt ashamed for not noticing his situation sooner, she was about to say as much, but Groose beat her to it.

"You were gone for that long, and yet you didn't find her?!" Groose snorted, flipping his pompadour "You realise that you've been gone for three weeks, right? And two of those weeks, Y/N's been a full on train wreck!" he stated, bluntly. Y/N scoffed "Wow, thanks Groose." she said, her voice dripping with sarcasm.

Groose shook his head "I don't know why Y/N prayed to the goddess for you, from the state she came back in, quiet and sad, even I could tell there was something up with you two." Link glared at Groose, his jaw twitched "Stay out of it, Groose." 

"You know you're really lucky to have her-"

"I said, Stay OUT of it, Groose." Link's eyes narrowed to slits, without another word, he gripped Y/N's wrist and pulled her down the steps to the academy. Y/N glanced at him "You're putting more weight on your left leg," she said "did you hurt yourself?" she asked, pulling her hand away from his grip.

Link laughed a little "It's nothing." but the lofty tone of his voice told Y/N otherwise. She moved to open the door for him, to which Link raised a brow, but said nothing. Link breathed in the familiar, flowery scent of the academy, he closed his eyes blissfully. It really had been a while since he came here.

With a stab, Link remembered that the last time he'd set foot here, it had been to comfort Y/N, who had been crying after the wing ceremony. He glanced at his knight's tunic, and then at her simple, blue one. Link made a mental note to speak to the headmaster about this later.

Link stood, awkwardly, in front of his room "Uh... Goodnight," he shifted on his feet, uncomfortably. Y/N fixed him with a stare "No way! Have you even seen yourself? Besides, we have a lot to catch up on," her voice turned serious.

Link wordlessly, nodded, and stiffly opened the door. He stood by the doorway, looking lost. Y/N, on the other hand, flopped down on his bed, completely at home. She rolled her eyes "Why do you look so awkward? I used to sneak into your room all the time! And now, you're looking at me as if I'm a stranger." she said it in a joking manner, but a small part of her knew it was more than just a joke.

Link set down his sword and shield with a clatter, removing his item pouch "It's just..." he hesitated "It's been a while." Link said at last. Link took off his hat and tried to flatten down his hair "How did you escape Girahim?"

Y/N waved him off "Oh, he just dropped me off here. I half expected to die the way he kidnapped me. But he just gave me a warning and tried to hire me or something." she laughed a bit at the end, glancing at the wooden carvings at Link's desk. Link gave her a side eye "And did you accept it?" he said lowly.

"What do you take me as?!" Y/N protested "You know I'd never do that!" she gritted her teeth, clenching her fist. Link nodded, resigned "I'm sorry. It's just that... things have changed." For his sake, Y/N decided to forgive the boy, and she guided him to his desk, where she sat him down. She ransacked his room, looking for alcohol wipes, finally finding them in his pouch.

"Thanks," he said, quietly. Y/N smiled "Don't thank me yet! Have you already forgotten how much alcohol hurts on a wound? Think of this as payback," she gently dabbed at Link's cut cheek. Link gave her a skeptic look "But that's technically helping me." he shrugged, causing Y/N to yell at him to stop moving. He looked at her focused eyes in amusement, saying "Well, whatever helps you sleep at night, I guess."

Link plopped himself on his bed, next to Y/N, he appeared to be in some sort of trance "You know... Zelda gave me her harp." he glanced at her "She told me to give it to you. She said you know a song that will aid me in understanding my role." Link pressed the harp into her hands.

Y/N gulped, Zelda had taught her all the songs she knew. Y/N remembered them word for words... there was just one problem: Her voice. Y/N wasn't exactly known for her voice, even Link himself teased her relentlessly. Zelda had been trying to prepare her to be the role of the goddess for next year's wing ceremony, but Y/N just didn't have the voice.

But Zelda never gave up on her.

Seeing Y/N's aprehension, Link reassured her "If you sing it, I promise I won't laugh- Knight's honour!" he gave her a half smile "And I'll sing you a song in return." he promised. After a moment of hesitation, Y/N agreed "Make fun of me, and I'll replace you with Groose!" she threatened. Link smiled "I wouldn't dream of it."

"Oh youth, guided by the servant of the goddess, unite earth and sky, and bring light to land."

 Y/N cringed as her voice cracked near the end, trying her best not to look at Link. Link, true to his word, solemnly listened, not making a sound.

"Oh youth, show the two whirling sails the way to the Light Tower...and before you a path shall open,"

"And a heavenly song you shall hear."

Y/N hastily ended the song, relieved that it was over. Link sat, lost in thought "Two whirling sails?" he mumbled to himself, before snapping out of it "I think I got it!" his eyes shone, Y/N tilted her head in question, but Link waved her off "I'll show you tomorrow." he set the harp aside.

Y/N grinned "Your turn to sing, Goddess," she mocked him. Link brought a hand up to cover his eyes "Why did I even agree to that?" he groaned, but then quickly brightened up "Remember that song Zelda used to sing to you? You used to be insomniac or something when you were younger and she'd sneak into my room so the both of us could help you fall asleep." he smiled at the memory.

"I know why she came, but I don't even know why she brought YOU. You never did anything. You just stood there looking awkward." 

"Emotional support." He said deffensively. He breathed in deeply, and then began his song. His low voice was perfect for the tone of the song, his cerulean eyes were unusually void of emotion, almost as if he was hiding it.

"Sky turns red, Princess go to bed. Close you eyes, and rest, dream ahead."

"Hear me sing, hear my voice within."

"Lay your head to rest."

"You are young, let our hero come."

"He will bring us peace with this song." 

"We will pray, and await the day"

"Until he has come."

Link coughed awkwardly "Zelda's better at these things," he said, wryly, but unfortunately, Y/N wasn't listening. She was asleep, leaning against Link's knee. He debated sleeping on the floor, but ultimately decided to stay.

A smile set on his lips.