Link's Mid-life crisis

"Another.... another shot, please." Link sighed, his head resting on his hand as he sat at the lumpy pumpkin, dejected. He had bags under his eyes, his hair was unruly with his usual bed head look and he hadn't showered since the incident a few days ago giving him a feral look.

He smelled strongly of dry shampoo and strong cologne to mask the scent of sweat and  depression. His eyes were half lidded, and he leaned against the table to keep himself upright. 

The restaurant owner, Pumm, gave him a weary look "For the last time, Link, this isn't a bar." the man sighed, polishing a bowl. He looked at Link, sympathetically "Besides, you're too young to be drinking your worries away." 

Link glanced at the stack of empty soup bowls next to him, "Then some more pumpkin soup..." he looked back at Pumm, adding "Please." The shop owner shook his head, but obliged, preparing another bowl "You sure you can afford it, kid? You did just spend a lot of money repairing my chandelier..."

Link rolled his eyes, which was uncharacteristically petty of him, "Oh, I've got enough." he huffed, remembering the painstaking wild goose chase he'd been through to find Zelda, unsuccessfully. Pumm shrugged "Alrighty then..." and with a clatter, he placed another bowl in front of Link, who promptly lifted it up and held it to his lips, downing the whole thing, ravenously. 

The other customers gave the boy side eyes, "Where's his decorum?" an old woman shook her head, appalled.  Another man squinted, "Say, isn't that Link?" he whispered, "Wonder what's gotten the newest knight in such a funk..."

"Hey, Dope!" Came a deep voice, "Pretending that pumpkin soup is Hylian whiskey won't get Zelda OR Y/N back!" Link stiffened as he felt Groose's hand clamped on his shoulder. Link set down the bowl, glaring at Groose.

Groose's eyes widened seeing Link's state, "Holy Sh*t! The hell happened to you?!" Groose's jaw dropped as his eyes scanned Link's usually perfect hair lying in a flat tousled mess, his cerulean eyes looking dull and dead, his usually straight knight's posture looking particularly 'S' shaped. Groose shook Link by his shoulders, making Link's neck almost snap, "Dope! Now is not the time for  character developement, depression era, mid life crisis type sh*t!"

Link just shook Groose's arms off, laying his head in his arms, avoiding Groose's gaze. Link's voice sounded vulnerable and child-like when he said, "Please... leave me alone..." he tapped his foot against the barstool, his boots making a clacking sound. He felt a stomach ache coming on with the amount of pumpkin soup he'd consumed since morning. He'd lost count but he thought it to be around 7, not including the one he'd just chugged.

Groose scoffed, unamused "And just when I thought you were lit..." Groose glared at Link, annoyed at how the boy had lost two of his best friends and was just sitting around getting high on pumpkin soup, "Y'know... I was right. You're nothing without Zelda and Y/N, remember when I said you wouldn't be able to choose what to eat for breakfast without them? Looks like I was right all along." Groose said, casually, trying to rile Link up.

It was working. 

Link stretched, giving Groose an annoyed look, his lips curled into a scowl. Groose continued on, leaning against the table, "Will you wake up, straighten up and grow a back bone already?! You're sailing through life with your damn head in the clouds!" Groose said with such vigour that Pumm looked at him, alarmed.

"Face reality, dope! Zelda and Y/N are gone! And you're here drinking pumpkin soup like it's ecstasy! As much as I hate to admit it, you're the only one who can save them! And instead you're-"

"Y/N is dead." Link hissed, looking like a rabid raccoon with his eye bags.

"You don't know tha-" Groose started to say.

"Yes I do. I saw the damn thing swallow her whole. It's no use... I tried to keep her safe and clearly I suck at it because she's dead. Who's to say the same won't happen to Zelda?" Link sighed, running a hand through his already messed up hair. 

Groose looked shocked, not because this was the most amount of words that Link had ever uttered to him, but because he'd given up on Y/N so easily. Groose looked genuinely irritated "Listen here, you little twink-"

"...T-twink?!" Link exclaimed, perplexed.

Groose rolled his eyes, continuing "I've only been friends with Y/N for like a week, and you two are practically a married couple with the time you guys spend together, and I'm the only one here who hasn't given up. Sure, we're both stupid! And sure, we're going through our character development arks! And sure, Y/N and Zelda are the only smart ones but they're gone now! But we're MEN, Link, we're MEN! And that means something, you dope!" Groose held his fists in front of him, clearly hyped up.

Link tilted his head "We're not adults yet so technically we're not." seeing Groose's unamused expression, Link quickly added "But yeah... I guess you're right." he rubbed the back of his neck, embarrassed that Groose of all people was giving him a pep talk.  

Groose grinned, hands on his hips "So are you ready to find Zelda and Y/N?"

Link looked away, sullen "But Y/N's-... she's-..." Groose shook his head, "Don't say it. Don't you dare say it. Didn't you say Zelda was like a god or some crap? Maybe Zelda can like bring her back or something. And plus, if you were eaten up by Satan's sock thing you know that Y/N wouldn't rest until she found you." Groose smiled, softly, "Grannie said that thing would come back... maybe then you might find her. Maybe she wasn't eaten, maybe she's just waiting for you to kill the thing and free her."

Link nodded slowly, although he didn't completely believe Groose he clung onto the hope of finding Y/N. He was the only one who could save Y/N and skyloft, and if he didn't step up then who would?

"I can't believe I'm saying this..." Link groaned, looking back at Groose, "But thanks, Groose." 

"Anytime, dope, anytime..." Groose grinned, and Link smiled back.

AN: See? I told y'all I'd update more often! It's because I've been planning another fic for y'all. Help me decide- should it be a TP Link x reader? Or another BOTW Link x reader? Tysm for reading, stay safe!

-Wish <3