Complicated

"aaaaaaughhhhhHHHHHHHHHHH-" 

Y/N heard what sounded like screaming coming from above her, Link seemed to hear it too from the way his brow furrowed. The two looked up simutaneously and a shout of surprise escaped Y/N's lips at the sight of the one and only Groose, plummeting down towards them. Link shouts, his eyes wide, trying to get out of the way so as not to get flattened.

Y/N instantly pushed herself against Link to to get out of Groose's path, but Link's reflexes weren't nearly as great. Groose's scream gets louder and is accompanied by Link's own yells as Groose levels down with them. Scared, Groose grabs ahold of Link's waist causing Link to fall faster due to the added weight. And all Y/N can do is watch from above, falling through the sky, as the two of them yell in unison.

"AAAAAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH-!"

It's all Y/N can do to prevent herself from laughing, laughing would cause her to loose balance in her descend, causing her to loose momentum. She bites her lip to stop her smile from spreading, her chest heaving with suppressed mirth, and she tucks her arms at her side to quicken her descend. The treeline in the corner of her eye signals for her to open her cloth, which causes her to jerk upright as she slowly floats down.

The second her scuffed leather boots hit the ground she runs towards the sound of Groose's obnoxious voice. She stops in the middle of the clearing outside the Old Lady's temple, Groose is kneeling down on the floor in front of Link, who looks increasingly concerned.

"AM I DEAD?!" Groose yells, pulling Link down towards him, shaking the poor boy by the shoulders. Groose turns, as soon as he sees Y/N, he gets up and runs towards her, hiding behind her. Groose shrieks "OH MY GOD Y/N, I THINK I'M DEAD-" he starts pacing around, pointing at the bird statue "HUH?!" his mouth drops "WHAT IS THAT?!" Groose turns to the goron archaeologist wandering nearby and he points wildly "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!"

Y/N grab's Groose's wrist "You're not dead, calm down it's-" but Groose  starts hyperventilating and falls to the floor.

"WHERE AM I?!"

Link and Y/N exchange furtive glances, Groose grab's Y/N's hands "Tell me, what's going on?! Is this-... am I dreaming?" Groose whispers. Link scoffs, pulling Y/N's hands from Groose's grasp, ignoring the weird look that Y/N gives him.

Y/N takes a deep breath "We're on the surface." she says, glancing at Link. Groose nods "Oh! So this is where Zelda went!" he says, suddenly looking very relieved. Link looks at Y/N sharply "You told him?" his voice is uncharacteristically cold, it matches the frosty look in his cerulean eyes. Y/N looks back at him 'his eyes are bluer than the sky,' she thinks, before wiping that thought away.

She looked at Link with a challenging look "Of course I told him! He was genuinely worried about Zelda's safety!" Y/N folded her arms over her chest "Don't start this again, Link. I don't want to experience this drama all over again!" she snapped, trying to ignore Groose's prying eyes. 

Link led Y/N a few meters away by the elbow. His grip was gentle on her skin, but firm. almost as if he was afraid he'd break her, but too afraid to let go of her. Y/N clicked her tongue "Well?" she tapped her foot, trying to show Link her annoyance.

Link took a deep breath, his gaze never wavering "It feels," he said slowly "as if you're being friendly with Groose just to get back at me for all those things I said because you know that we can't stand each other." Link's sky-blue eyes seemed to search her own eyes for any sign of doubt or emotion.

"Have you finally lost it Link?" Y/N whispered severely "I haven't done anything wrong and yet you find a way to argue with me?" she sighed turning away from him in disgust, not wanting to even look at him. 

She couldn't believe that she almost fell for him...

"What's going on between you and Groose." Link persisted "NOTHING!" Y/N snapped louder than she intended to "Can you stop trying to act like my mother?!" she lowered her voice "And stop sticking your nose into my business! Why do you even want to know!?" Link stayed silent, not answering the question.

Y/N rolled her eyes "Well I'm sorry your girlfriend isn't here, but that doesn't mean you get to treat me like absolute garbage." Y/N tried her best not to slap Link right there and then, clenching her fist. Link cast his eyes down "I'm sorry." he bowed his head down "I'm so immature. I'm supposed to be a hero, and yet I can't even be a hero to you." his blue eyes were glassy.

Link wanted to kicked himself, no, he wanted to kill himself. Why did he have to go and let his jealousy ruin things? And now, Y/N would think he's pathetic for apologising after acting like that. Why did he ruin everything?

"You got that right." Y/N scoffed.

Link ignored her comment "And Zelda is not my girlfriend." he said quickly "Just know, Y/N, that you are the most important person for me. My parents are gone. I have no other family. And you were the first ever person who made me smile after them. We've been through a lot together." Link smiled fondly at the memories "And I know we'll get through this."

Seeing Y/N's look, Link added "I know I've been a jerk to you. And there's no justifying it. I won't mind if you don't forgive me." Link rubbed the back of his neck, embarrassed. He cast his eyes down once again, and what he would say now would bring comfort to Y/N in the near future when all hope will be lost and Link will be on the verge of death.

"Despite whatever you say and whatever you do, I will never stop trying to be your hero. Not Zelda's, not Peatrice's, not Skyloft's. Your hero. Because the world could be shattering and it wouldn't change how important you are to me."

This brought heat to Y/N's cheeks, she struggled to think of a response as her brain short-circuited. Link smiled, somewhat sadly,

"You don't have to forgive me, or say anything. I will make it up to you. But, it feels like the world is about to shatter soon."

Y/N walked back to Groose, numbly.

Was that a confession? If not, what even was it? Why was he being so complicated? Was he even himself?

AN:

Finals are coming up and it's been so long since I updated. How was this chapter?

-Wish