The Aura in the temple

It was night time. Link and Y/N had successfully found all of the kikwies and were currently with Bucha, preparing to turn in for the night inside the hollowed out tree. Bucha had kindly invited them to stay the night when Machi told him how the two humans had saved him and found his friends.

Y/N stretched and yawned against the comforting bark of the tree, the put out fire next to her, still warm from before. Lopsa and Erla had made them mushroom curry, the two female kikwies were now passed out on the other side of the tree.

Link sat next to her, counting their rupees. At one time, Y/N would've had no trouble talking to him- but lately even being around the boy was like navigating a minefield. She stared at him as he sifted through the shining gems with his eyes narrowed in concentration.

When had they grown so distant?

She tried to help him. Y/N knew she was a burden to him, he was always asking her if she wanted to go back up or if she was tired. 

The truth is, she was tired. But it was her determination to find Zelda and help Link that kept her going. Y/N was not the type who'd just quit and admit defeat. She would see things through until the end.

Link, feeling like he was being watched, looked up and met her eyes. They connected for a split second, before Y/N looked away, her ears burning in embarrassment. Link too, averted his eyes and counted the rupees.

He had been counting them for a while now. He already knew how many they had, 230. But he wanted to talk to Y/N... though he was too shy to start the conversation. 

He was hoping that Y/N would.

And faithful to her reputation, Y/N did. She glanced back at Link, dying of awkwardness. she cleared her throat and Link looked at her, expectantly.

"When do you think we'll find Zelda?"

Link held up one finger, inwardly celebrating at the fact that his friend was talking to him again. He was sure Y/N could see the fireworks in his eyes.

"A day?" she repeated what he just signed, the boy nodded, his blue eyes reflecting the eerie moonlight. Y/N rested her chin on her knees "For our's and Zelda's sake... I hope so." she looked back at Link "Because if we don't find her, there'll be more consequences than just loosing her."

Link tilted his head and looked at her in question. Y/N laughed it off "Look at me- becoming all sappy!" she nudged him "I think your 'insight' is rubbing off on me!" she did quotation marks. Both Link and she knew, that her smiles and laughs were only a facade.

Despite what Y/N thought, Link did indeed know what she meant.

Lately, they had become cold and distant. Snapping at each other,  shouting, fighting... if Zelda didn't come back in time, their bond would be severed altogether.  Link knew it was his fault and he wanted to apologise.

But every time he tried, Y/N would reject him. Link balled his fists in frustration. He was now a knight in training and yet-  He couldn't even talk to a girl! Let alone his best friend!

Link swallowed his apprehension. It was time to gather up that courage that the old lady said he had! He took a deep breath, he couldn't leave it all to Y/N.

Link held Y/N's hand in his, both hands on either side of hers. Y/N's eyes flitted to his, in question. Link took in another shaky breath and finally spoke, despite the heat creeping up his cheeks.

"I'm sorry." he breathed, not being able to look her in the eye. He squeezed her hand tighter, searching for the right words "I've been horrible to you..." his eyes misted over, recalling the incident with the bokoblins.

"I..." he hesitated, loosening his grip "Don't deserve to be... the hero." he let go of Y/N's hands and his figure drooped, he fidgeted with a green rupee.

Y/N, taken aback, didn't know what to say either. She stared at him "Uh-... well you got that right!" she blurted out, without thinking. Seeing Link's expression droop even more, she quickly corrected herself.

"Just because you're not a hero now, doesn't mean you'll never be," she explained "No one's born a hero, not even you Mr. Perfect! Hero's are those who rise up to the occasion. They have no time to prepare, they just do it." Y/N's voice softened.

"You're new to this Link, and so am I. You can't expect to be perfect." Y/N put her hand on his "But you will be." 

Link shook his head "All I did was sleep, fail class and daydream..." he gave a nervous laugh, knowing that he could've done better. 

Y/N rolled her eyes "Oh, Shut up, Link!" she poked him "You had hero qualities, even I could see that!" Link looked at her sarcastically. 

"Remember that time you saved Mia?" she began to list things "When you found Orielle? Or that time you helped Fledge through his anxiety? Or that time Pipit-" Link sighed "that's normal!" he whispered.

Y/N glared at him "Not to them it wasn't! To poor Mia, you were probably an angel sent from Hylia!" she threw her hands up in the air "What matters is how they saw you."

Link opened his mouth to protest, Y/N cut him off "Now, shut up before you say anything stupid!" 

Link obliged, feeling a smile tugging at his lips.

"Master."

Fi jumped out of the goddess sword, giving Y/N a heart attack. Fi turned to the both of them.

"I have vital information on Zelda. I have detected the Spirit Maiden's aura near the temple ruins north of faron woods. You must leave at sunrise, time is of the essence." Fi said with a tinkle, and disappeared. 

Y/N turned to Link "Let's go find our friend."

AN:

Okay so, I feel bad for you guys reading this story. So, I'll tell you the plot:

This is a friends to enemies to frenemies to enemies to archnemesises to enemies to frenemies to friends to lovers to enemies to lovers.

BYEEEEEE

-Wishiwashi