Strands of Fate

<-----<<_Flashback_>>----->

"You were blushing!" Y/N squealed, giving Link a coy smile "Do you like her? You like her!" she grinned, jumping up and down.

The 9 year old boy next to her sighed, shaking his head in annoyance. Y/N scoffed "You like Zelda! It's so obvious!" she took his hand in hers to add emphasis, looking at him in determination. Y/N grinned "See! You're blushing again!"

Link averted his eyes "You should tell her!" Y/N prompted, nudging him. Link looked at her with wide eyes "Are you insane?!" he exclaimed.

Y/N smiled "That's about the twentieth time you've spoken to me... Guess maybe I should tease you more often if it gets you to speak!" she giggled. Link merely rolled his eyes, not even trying to hide the smile forming on his lips.

"Do you like her or not?

Link nodded, wondering what he was getting himself into.

Y/N pumped her tiny fist "Then, we'll make it happen!"

<-----<<_Flashback_End_>>----->

It had been two weeks since Girahim had taken Y/N back up to skyloft.

Slowly and slowly, Y/N and Groose were beginning to think that Zelda and Link were never going to come back. They seeked comfort in each other, they both knew how it felt. Groose genuinely loved Zelda, Y/N could tell. Y/N herself missed the girl who'd been by her side since she was born. It was Y/N who introduced Link and Zelda to each other. 

Sometimes it hurt, knowing that Link and Zelda were going to end up together. She was happy for them, but imagine how alone she'd be. Visiting them would be awkward for them all, and Y/N didn't think she was ready to live out the rest of her days alone.

"Yo Goddess, please bring Zelda back." Groose sighed at the giant goddess statue. Groose and Y/N had been coming here every night for a while, praying. It was the only thing left to do, and desperate times call for desperate measures. Y/N added "And Link. Please keep him safe." It was dangerous at night, what with those chus, keese and those pesky remlits. 

Groose adjusted his hair "We should head back, it's getting late." he said, trying to lighten up the mood, he added "Y'know maybe we could prank Stritch tomorrow, we could make up this bug and he's go after it but then he'd realise that-" Groose stopped abruptly, seeing Y/N's melancholic expression.

"Let me guess, you want to stay?" There was a slight scolding tone in his voice, further amplified by the silence of the moonless night. The breeze blew Y/N's hair back "Yeah..." her voice was hoarse. Groose merely nodded, giving her his cloak "It's cold." he stated "NOT THAT I CARE WETHER YOU GET SICK OR NOT-" and with that, Groosey boy walked off.

Y/N chuckled to herself, wearing the cloak. Who knew Groose would be such a good friend? She sighed 'If it were Link, he would pull me back inside, telling me I'd die.' she thought 'He'd probably scold me about being so reckless.'

Y/N sat back against the goddess statue, surveying the horizon. She watched as the loftwings circled the sky, their sad songs filling the chilly air with their melody. The melody led her into a long dark tunnel, leading to the land of dreams. Y/N had one last thought before she fell asleep 'He'd probably say-'

"Y/N? What are you doing out so late?!! I should have stayed with you- maybe then-"

'Wait.' Y/N opened an eye, 'that sounds a lot like Link...' she sat up, brushing the hair out of her eyes and turned around.

Then she saw him.

Standing right next to the landing, so casually, as if he'd have just walked back from school and not risen up from the dead. Instantly, he shut up, dumbfounded at the look in Y/N's eye. He hesitated, wondering wether to approach her or not. His hair fell over his forehead neatly, despite him having lived in the wild for two weeks. He hastily wiped the dirt off his cheek and stared at her stupidly.

He lowered his head in shame "I'm sorry, Y/N, I should've-" he was interrupted by Y/N running forward and holding him in a tight embrace. It took Link a moment to process but he put his arms around her, he whispered "I'm sorry."

Y/N pulled back from him "I should be mad at you!" she snapped, Link flinched at the look in her eyes. Y/N sighed "But I can't! I thought you were gone! I thought you were dead, Link! I missed you so much... And I guess that cancelled out what you did in the past." Y/N gave him a watery smile, her eyes glistening.  Y/N breathed in, Link smelled of the forest... he smelled of pine and flowers and grass and rain and-

"What happened to your cheek?! Oh, Hylia! Why are you so recklessly stupid?!" Y/N scolded. Link recoiled in embarrassment at her touch "It's just a scratch-" he said too quickly for Y/n's liking, she pursed her lips, not buying it.

Link kneeled down suddenly, causing Y/N to protest. He took her hands in his and looked at her with a piercing gaze "I'm sorry." he whispered, holding her hands tighter "As a knight of skyloft, I promise to never doubt you again. Where we go, we go together." his voice faltered "It was... painful without you."

Y/N smirked, touched by his display "Aw, look at that! Link actually missed me!" Link rolled his eyes and smiled, genuinely. Y/N continued, the wind blowing back her- or rather- Groose's cape "I accept your apology. And I promise to understand better what you're going through." she whispered, pulling him in another embrace.

Link relaxed for the first time in a long time.

The night was pleasant and silent. Y/N had forgiven him and they'd put their arguements in the past. They were closer than ever. And he was one step closer to finding Zelda. But for now, he hugged Y/N back, she smelled of vanilla and grass and leaves and-... GROOSE'S CONDITIONER?

Then something caught Link's eye.

He suddenly pushed Y/N back, causing the girl to glare at him "What the heck, Link?!" Link's eyes narrowed into a glare. He picked up her cape with one finger "Why are you wearing Groose's cape?" he asked, his words dripping with venom.

Y/N shifted uncomfortably "Uh, he gave it to me because I stayed out... Why do you look so annoyed, Link?" she asked, though she knew the answer. Link hated Groose's guts, so he wouldn't be too big of a fan of Y/N and Groose's friendship.

"What's going on between you and Groose?!" he snapped.

A branch cracked "Y/N professor Owlan said you need to come back-" Groose stopped dead when he saw the withering look that Link gave him "Uh, wrong time?" Groose deadpanned, adjusting his hair.

If looks could kill, Groose would be twenty feet under.

AN: RIP Groose