An Old Lady

Y/N struggled to push the heavy stone doors open, but succeeded. Inside was what looked like a forgotten temple. Moss and creepers climbed over the stone walls, the ground was covered in grass and dirt, and in the middle of it all was a sun roof that shone light on a pedestal. And on that pedestal, sat an old lady with a strange red hood.

Link walked forward, as if in a trance. Y/N looked from him to the old lady, and then hesitantly approached. 

"Hero. I have been expecting you."

Link glanced at Y/N before turning his full attention to the old Lady. The old lady looks at him intensely "I am Impa. A servant to the goddess." Link hesitates "Has... has a-" Y/N interrupts him, impatiently "Have you seen Zelda? She has blonde hair and she was wearing a pink dress and a cloak!" Y/N looks at Impa desperately.

Impa flinches, looks to Link and then says "I wasn't expecting the hero to come with company." her voice is cool. Link glances away, nervously. "What is your name, child?" Impa asks Y/N, no sign of emotion in her voice.

Unfazed, Y/N replies "My name is Y/N. I am here to find my friend." she folds her arms. "I understand that you must be worried, Y/N. But can you please step outside for a moment?" Y/N rolls her eyes, but obliges. As she steps out, she shoves Link with her shoulder and makes her way out in satisfaction.

Y/N sighs as she leans against the stone doors. As if she'd let Link keep a secret from her! Y/N put her ear against the door and listened. She could only make out a few words, but she hoped that was enough.

"You...Spirit maiden....Destiny...chosen one.... Hylia....Journey.... Zelda..... Dangers....Big plans..."

Of course both her best friends were part of something huge! She picked up a rock and hurled it as far as she could, it hit the grass with a soft thud a few meters away. Of course, that wouldn't stop her from finding Zelda.

Y/N missed Zelda already. Her ready smiles, her laughter when Link got called out by Y/N, how she didn't hesitate to put Groose in his place. Skyloft wouldn't be the same without her, especially with Link locking people in their own rooms...

No, she would be the one to find Zelda. Who cares about destiny?! Destiny is yours to make! And Y/N would make it so that she defied all odds. Y/N heard footsteps coming, she quickly sat down and pretended to examine a rock. The stone doors opened and Link stepped out, looking distracted. Y/N pretended not to care, although she stole a few glances at him as he sat down next to her.

"...What now?"

"Faron." He replied.

'Faron?' Y/N thought 'What the heck is Faron?' although she didn't say anything. She could see that Link had enough on his plate without her jibes and teases. "Come on," she held a hand out to the boy "Zelda isn't gonna find herself."

Link looked up at her turned away head, a ghost of a smile on his lips. He could tell that she was struggling not to smile, he accepted her hand and got up. Link would break the news to Y/N later... The surface was too dangerous for her.

"Which way?" Y/N hastily drew her hand back. Link led her back inside the temple, Impa looking at Y/N disapprovingly, and out through the back door. They stopped at a clearing and looked around.

Y/N suddenly tugged at Link's sleeve, he followed her line of sight and saw an odd looking creature. It appeared to have the features of a rock and it looked sort of frog-like.

"That is a Goron." Fi's voice said, as she materialized in front of them. "We are now close to Faron woods. If you continue along this path I calculate a 78% chance of finding Zelda's location." Fi gestured towards the opening in front of them "I suggest you pray to the bird statue so the goddess may save all that you have done."

Y/N summons up her courage and walks to the Goron. "What are you doing?!" Link hisses in one of his rare moments of speech, Y/N ignores him and continues.

"Excuse me?"

"Hmm?" The Goron grunts, turning to face her.

"My name is Y/N! My Frie-... acquaintance over there is called Link. We are looking for our friend. She is a blonde human, she has a pink dress and a white cloak. Have you seen her?"

The Goron's face cracks into a grin "I'm Gorko! I'm sorry, I haven't seen anyone like that... though if she came this way the only way to go is in Faron woods. I hope you find her." Gorko hesitates "Could you help me?" Y/N nods eagerly "I need to know about that bird statue over there." Gorko gestures to said statue.

Link groans inwardly, seeing Y/N converse with the strange Goron. So much for keeping her safe... Link sighs, before all of this his life was simple- but good. He had Y/N to tease him, Zelda's expectations to live up to, Groose's jibes to endure, he had to try his best not to fall asleep in class.

Y/N would stand next to him after school to make sure he actually did his homework, he'd wake up to her banging on the door- once she'd even poured water on him from the window on the day of final exams. Zelda would poke him with her pencil from the seat behind him every time he fell asleep, whispering "Wake up!"

He smiled, remembering the time not too long ago when Y/N stole Groose's conditioner. It took Groose a week to get his 'slick pompadour' back. The three of them had good times, laughing together, teasing one another. As friends should.

And look at them now.

All scattered and broken.

Zelda was gone, part of a bigger fate. Kidnapped, lost and somewhere alone in this strange, dangerous land.

Y/N refused to talk to him. She was broken on the inside, he could tell. Both her friends, part of something bigger than anything she could ever do. She had broken the bond between them in her hurt.

And he, Link. Doomed to bear the fate that the goddess had bound on him. Doomed to end all that stood in his way. Doomed to save everyone.

Doomed to bear it alone.