Despair

Link edged closer to the seal, his eyes focused, making sure Y/N stayed behind him the entire time. Link, no matter how hard he tried, could not shake the feeling that something bad was about to happen. He could feel it.

To reassure himself, he said, quietly "Nothing I say will make you leave, right?" he unsheathed his sword, looking at Y/N from the corner of his eye, the boy couldn't shake the feeling that he was making a mistake. Y/N nodded, firmly "When have I ever listened to you, Link?" she said, a teasing smile tugging her lips. Link sighed, he still couldn't help but feel like this was a mistake.

Link raised his sword skywards, taking a deep breath, preparing for the inevitable battle that was about to commence. Holy light began to bathe his sword, from the tip all the way to its hilt, it chimed and glowed, telling him it was ready. Link closed his eyes for a moment. He would never forgive himself if he lost you too...

"Promise not to put yourself in danger?"  He asked, not daring to look her in the eye. "..." Y/N hesitated a bit. Link's voice grew desperate, as he focused his conflicted gaze directly at her eyes. The cerulean irises were frantic, almost feral with desperation and fear, his stance was tense and rigid "Y/N! Please-..." his body shook with every word "...Promise me." his voice cracked a bit with emotion.

"I promise."

Link nodded, curtly and turned around once again. He let out a sigh, and struck the seal in the middle of the circle with the glowing goddess sword "HAH!" he let out a yell, making Y/N roll her eyes at him, exasperatedly. 

The circle began to glow, and Link's body tensed, he clutched the hilt of his sword just a bit tighter. The cerulean sky began to darken and clouds rolled over the sun, everything became tainted with a crimson hue. Y/N clutched at Pipit's dented shield a bit tighter, it was the only thing remotely close to a weapon she had. She found it was quite effective when used as a projectile and it could be used as a makeshift weapon in a pinch.

And as she smelled ashes in the air and the sky darkened, Y/N realised that Link was probably right. The sock monster, it'd arrived.

"Link..." Y/N hissed as the ground rumbled once more, as if the monster was coming from the deepest pis of hell, clawing its way out of the earth. Link stumbled back, next to her, his eyes wide as if he was reliving a nightmare. And in a way, Y/N realised, he was. He'd seen this in a dream before.

Her mind was screaming at her to run, to run from the calamity that was about to emerge. But she stayed, steadfast. Some might call her brave, but most would call her stupid. After all, there's a fine line between courage and recklessness,  but Y/N seemed oblivious to it.

And Link, he began having second thoughts. He turned to Y/N as the ground rumbled and the sky bled in hues of red "I'm starting to think..." He murmured "That I shouldn't have let you stayed." he glanced at her, worried. If Y/N got taken or hurt, he wouldn't know what to do with himself. 

And worse- what would he tell Y/N's mother? And right after he practically told her mother he'd die for her? He'd be a dead boy walking.

Y/N nodded, pushing her hair out of her eyes "Too late now..." she said, the ghost of a smile on her face. And just as Link rolled his eyes at her dry response, a deafening shriek filled the air as the seal cracked. It almost looked as if the world was in pain with the way it was quaking, trembling and how the sky was bleeding crimson.

"WHAT THE HELL?!" Came Groose's yell from up above.

"Hero! You must not let it enter the temple!" The old lady called out, the shrieking was so loud Y/N could barely make out their voices.

Link got into a stance, cocking his head to the side to look at Y/N behind him "Just... stay behind me. You hear me?!" His voice sounded harsh and his eyes were blunt "Don't do anything stupid or so Hylia help me..." and as Link uttered these words, a big black creature broke through the ground in front of them.

Y/N shielded herself with Pipit's shield from the flying debris and then looked at it through half lidded eyes. It was a massive creature, it appeared to be made of hundreds of thousands of black shards- or scales. It was ebony coloured, obsidian even, and it's scales shone like they were as sharp as obsidian. It has no eyes and it had a large mouth filled with jagged, dagger-sharp, pearly white fangs. Y/N shuddered at the thought of facing that creature. 

Link staggered back, looking for a potential weakness, making sure to keep Y/N behind him and out of the conflict. But the monster, seemingly, had other ideas.  It turned around and stared straight at her, despite having no eyes. Y/N visibly gulped, certain it was looking into her soul, she stumbled a few steps back "Uh.... Link?" she asked, looking at the boy who seemed as dumbfounded as she did.

He turned to glance at her, his eyes widened and his hands slightly trembling "I think-..." his voice cracked with emotion "I think you should-" and just as Link was about to finish his sentence, the monster took a thundering step towards her, one of it's steps equivalent to about 25 of hers.

"GO!!!" Link yelled, pushing her, he then ran up to the monster trying frantically to find a way to slow it down. His legs were trembling, his breathing was shaky, and he felt almost certain that he'd die. Every step the monster took, a shockwave of energy would knock him back, the air squeezing out of his lungs. Link cursed at himself 'I'm such an idiot!' he shook his head, trying to regain his vision after a particularly strong shockwave 'the one time I need a shield- I leave it at home!' he grits his teeth. 

"Link!" Y/N yells and before Link can react, she tosses his a shield which he just barely manages to catch in time before it smacks him in the face. In the same heartbeat that Link catches the shield he hears Y/N scream and sees the monster clamp its jaws around her. Link cries out in desperation, reaching an arm out, helplessly, running to her. But the monsters swallows and...

And then she's gone....

AN: 

Whoah... this is like the first time I've updated in months! I'll try my best to update this more often especially since there's only about 8 chapters left! Let me know what you think about this story, because I'd love to hear how I can improve! Stay safe!

-Wish <3