Bloodsucking Monsters

"How do you kno-" Y/N began, confused "I just do." Link interrupted in a no-nonsense voice. Y/N decided to press him once the matter was over, he was going through a lot as it was. "Let's go to the sparring hall to get ourselves a sword," Y/N said instead, Link just nodded and followed her all the way back to the academy.

As soon as they reached the academy, they turned left and went under the archway where they saw the sparring hall. Link held the door open for Y/N and as soon as they stepped inside they were greeted by commander Eagus.

"Y/N, Link! Good luck on the ceremony!" He said in an enthusiastic tone. Link nodded curtly "We're just here to get a sword so we can find Link's loftwing!" Y/N said, once she saw Commander Eagus's expression she added "It's a long story,"

Link looked at her, urging her to stop talking and to get on with the task. Y/N hurriedly said her goodbyes and stepped into the backroom where the training swords were stored.

Link held one out to Y/N, who promptly refused "They're too heavy for me, besides I'd probably be able to outrun those 'Bloodsucking monsters', or at last resort kick them." she pushes the sword away "Besides, if I die things won't look too good for you," Link stifled a laugh at this last remark.

"Now come on! Let's go fight some Bloodsucking monste-" Y/N starts with her fist raised in the air "Not so fast, young Lady" Commander Eagus says from the doorway. "Link still has to learn to wield it," he puts his hand on Link's shoulder, Link gulps "Besides, if Link dies not knowing to wield a sword.... things won't look too good for me." he adds, giving Y/N a wink.

Once they are in the sparring area, commander Eagus claps his hands "Alright, Link! I want you to slice up those wooden logs as if they're Groose!" Link starts hitting the wood with more determination, his hits becoming cleaner and more calculated than the sloppy thuds he started off with. After thirty minutes of this, Link stops hitting wood "I think I should go now." he says.

Commander Eagus nods "Good luck, kid!" Link gently shakes Y/N who had fallen asleep against the wall of the sparring hall. She jerks awake and gives Link a dirty look "About time!" she exclaims and stretches. Soon enough they thank Commander Eagus- well Y/N thanks him and Link just nods, but close enough- and they make their way to the waterfall cave.

Link slashes at the wood with his sword, and it falls down giving them enough space to get inside. Link waits for Y/N to go inside first "Scaredy cat," Y/N says and goes inside first, too egoistic to admit her own fear.

Once inside, Y/N did not expect to see what she saw.

The dark cave was beautifully illuminated by glowing mushrooms in various colours and sizes. The whole cave had an almost whimsical and fairy tale like look. The cave was filled with the echoes of dripping water. The air smelled stale but fresh at the same time. It was as if no one had breathed the air in years, and it had grown rank and dusty.

"So no monsters..." Y/N breathed a sigh of relief, Link nodded and the two of them forged on. Their peace was tragically shattered by the sound of flapping wings. Y/N jerked her head up and saw a bat like creature. It swooped down to claw at her, Y/N ducked down just in time, Realising that there were indeed monsters

She ran behind Link shrieking "KILL IT! KILL IT!" she clung to his arm like a child clung to its mother... except Link wasn't a mother. 

Link wasted no time in swinging his sword at the Keese. He missed the first time and the bat shrieked as if mocking him. The bat's glory didn't last long because Link ended it in two swift swings of the sword.

Y/N peered at the dead bat from behind Link "What happened to kicking it?" Link laughed quietly. Y/N laughs sarcastically before turning to the keese. 

"You know... sometimes I feel bad killing them. I mean, they've got lives just like ours. They probably have friends and family!" Link doesn't respond. She bends down to be level with the keese "This monster's life is worth as much as mine is."  Link laughs ruefully "If we didn't get it... it would have gotten us," he told her.

"Well, Mr. Wise-guy!" Y/N said trying to lighten the mood "You should talk more and spread your 'enlightenment' to the whole world!" Link helps her up "Even the surface?" he smiles "Even the surface!" Y/N nods.

They continue on through the cave meeting more keese and blob things which Y/N confirmed as 'chuchus'. The chuchus really terrorised Y/N with the way they latched themselves onto Link and tried to suck his life energy out. 

Link tried to reassure Y/N by showing her that they were easily removable, but Y/N wouldn't budge. Let's just say that she did a lot of running but not a lot of kicking...

Y/N ran and ran until the next bat was out of sight but then, she heard a gurgling noise. She knew what was coming before she saw it, a chuchu. Link came up behind her just as the chuchu leaped at her. Y/N came out of her fear trance and screamed "LINK! WHAT'S THE POINT OF HAVING THAT SWORD?!" before Link could hit the chuchu Y/N decided to take matters into her own hands.

She reared her leg back and put as much energy into the kick as she could. Her foot connected with the chuchu in a sickening 'squelch' and the chuchu was flung into the wall. Link opened his mouth to tease her about finally kicking something but Y/N turned to him "Not. Another. Word."

Link just coughed to hide his smile and Y/N turned to look ahead "Look! It's light! If your loftwing isn't there- I don't know where it is!" Y/N runs to the light with Link hot on her heels. The light blinds their vision for a few seconds but then they see it.

Link's beautiful, crimson loftwing. All boarded up in a small cave, looking at him in both sadness and happiness. Link runs towards his Loftwing, this time Y/N stays letting Link have his moment. He stops in front of it and reaches through the wooden boards to stroke it. then he breaks the ropes holding the boards up and his loftwing springs out, nudging its head into the crook of his arm.

Y/N smiled, Link would be able to attend the ceremony after all! Another thing Y/N knew was that Groose was gonna die today.

AN:

What do you think of the story so far? I hope you like it! Thanks for reading and I hope you stay safe!

-Wishiwashi