Chapter 12

After two weeks of resting, Eleanor attends award ceremony. She receives an ash dragon badge with epaulettes pinned on her shoulders. She stands back to her place. Aria was given title 'Intelligence officer' for her contribution on the 'Ghost' mission. Brian was also promoted to Lupus-rank. Marcus gives a congratulatory speech and ends the ceremony. Other specialists were congratulating her at that moment Celeste arrives with her partner, Paige at the venue.

"Ellen, congrats upon reaching dragon-rank." Celeste said with a smirk plastered on her face.

"...." Eleanor stared at her not believing her flattery for few moments.

"Ellen! Congratulations!" Someone bear hugs her from behind.

She was startled for a moment then smiled accepting her embrace, "Hello, Mother."

Numerous excited gasps echoed through the hall. "It's Mrs. Vivian!!" all the specialists who recognize her crowded around them. Vivian Martinez was a former Phoenix-ranked specialist. She was nicknamed 'Ruthless Grim reaper' due to her cruel and insane ways of killing vampires. Due to unknown circumstances from her previous mission, she retired and joined Research division as an archeologist.

"My baby! How are you, Eleanor?" Her mother asks while peppering her with kisses. She lets go off her and grips her chin examining injuries. She asks worriedly, "Are you hurt anywhere?"

"I am. But I am fine for now." Eleanor replied nonchalantly.

Vivian looks at John, "Honey, call the doctor! Our baby is still in pain!" she narrows her gaze at Celeste, who looks away from her, "Did you not look after her?"

Eleanor stands in the middle, "Mother, it's not big sister's fault. So please don't scold her."

"Alright alright." She pats Eleanor's head.

"Vivian, you are forgetting something." John says with mysterious smile plastered on his face.

"Ohhh yeah!!" Vivian wraps her arm, "Let's head home. Today is your special day."

Celeste looks at her partner, "Take a day off, Paige. Do whatever you want." Celeste said waving her partner goodbye.

____________

Once inside the mansion, Vivian and John set off a party bomb saying, "Happy Birthday, Ellen!!"

"Thanks." Ellen replies with a small smile.

Vivian wrapped her arm around Eleanor's heading to dining table. Celeste lets out a sigh combing her hair behind with her fingers. A doorbell rings. She opens the door and looks at the unexpected guests. A young man with blonde  hair was carrying a two-year old toddler in his arms. In his other hand he held a gift bag. His sky blue eyes glistens seeing Celeste. Her surprised expression turns into a warm smile upon recognizing them. They were her husband and daughter.

"Chester? How are you? I was anyways going to visit you guys." She hugs her husband.

"I'm good. I came to surprise you as well as celebrate Eleanor's birthday." Chester replied with a smile.

"My sweet little princess!" Celeste takes her daughter in her arms. She peppers her with kisses to which she hears her kid giggles playfully enjoying her mother's affection and warmth. They head inside the dining room.

"Hello Chester!" Vivian chimes excitedly.

"Hello, Mother." Chester walks towards Eleanor. He takes out a squishmallow handing it to her, "Happy birthday, Ellen. This is the limited edition tie-dye pegasus."

"Thank you, Chester." Eleanor hugs it liking its fluffiness.

"Not fair! You don't buy me limited edition stuffs!" Celeste says with a pout on her face.