'You've got me'

The worst thing about coming to this place is seeing people hurting. I mean people come here to get better but instead they stand outside the front and smoke. Smoking kills. Hasn't anybody told them that?

I walked past the 7 people wearing white gowns and dragging on a cigarette to get through the main entrance. As soon as you walk in you are greeted with the smell of hand sanitiser and soup. Don't get me wrong I love the smell of hand sanitiser in the morning... Lowest form of wit Alex..
I walked over towards the reception desk to say hello to the staff that I have grown to know after this year of visiting nearly every day.

'Hello Alex, how are you?' Asked Maria the receptionist at Russell's Hall hospital.

'Not too bad, thanks. How are you?' I wrapped my arms around her shoulders in a big bear hug.

Maria has been there for me through it all, unlike my parents who can't be bothered with visiting him anymore.

'I'm great thank you, Toms been asking about you all day'

'I'm so sorry I'm late, my alarm clock didn't go off but I've bought him a present.' I quickly flashed the gift bag up in the air but not revealing anything inside.

'Right I'll go up and see him then.' I smiled and left Maria with her paperwork.

I travelled up the many steps to get to the ward I wanted. Many pictures of children hung upon the wall who didn't quite make it. It's like a huge memorial wall. I'm scared if one day Tom will be on that wall. This hospital is great it gives the memory of the children that were here even more time to be remembered but knowing that one day someone you know will be smiling up there is just heart breaking. The tiled floor led me up one more step till I reached a long corridor. Nurses pulling along carts full of medicine, doctors rushing from one room to another, the sound of family members crying. It kills me. But it's all worth it to see the face of the little boy that I love.
I reached room 63 and opened it wide enough. There lay on the bed was my strong little brother Tom. All sorts of wires and leads were attached to his body and lead to a big machine somewhere next to him. He's only 9 and he's stuck in a hospital watching the weather instead of living it, he says he wishes he could go outside just once, he wants to feel the rain on the top of his hairless head. He wants the sun to hit him right in the face but none of that is possible anymore. My brother has been fighting with cancer.

'Hey little bro, how you holding up?' I winced through the tears I was trying to hold back.
His head shot up and the biggest smile appeared on his face.

'Alex!' He swung his arms out and I ran into them.

'I was worried you weren't going to come today.' Whispered the sound of my brother who thinks a visit in hospital is what a 9 year old wants.

'I would never come a day without seeing you, you know that!'

'Is that bag for me?' I watched his eyes stare deeply into the bag I was holding.

'It might be.' I laughed.

I handed him the blue gift bag and my eyes were tranced on his facial expression. He quickly unwrapped the box shaped present and screamed.

'A DS! Oh my god thank you so so so so so much! I love it!' Hearing how much I can make him happy makes me feel like the happiest girl in the world.

'Is it the right colour, I got you 3 games as well and maybe every month I might get you a new game.' A couple of tears fell from my eyes but I quickly wiped them away before Tom saw.

'Its perfect, thank you Alex.' He lifted his head up to give me a kiss on the cheek.

'Its my pleasure, while you figure that out and play with it I'm late for school so I'll see you tomorrow okay?' I rubbed his bald head as a joke between us and watched his smile fade.