Im a terrible person

I put my shopping bags down on the floor as I heard my phone ring. I grabbed it from my jacket pocket and answered it.

'Hello?' I questioned.

'Where the hell are you? Are you okay? Why aren't you at school?' A worried Noah blurted through the phone.

'Sorry, I erm.... I wasn't feeling too well so I just stayed at home. I totally forgot to call you. I'm so sorry.' I lied straight through my teeth.

'What's wrong, do you need me to come back?'

'No baby, stay at school. It's just little girl pains that's all, nothing some chick flicks and paracetamol won't fix.' I giggled.

'Well as long as you're okay, and if you need anything just call me and I'll be straight over.'

'Thank you Noah, but I'll be fine.'

'I love you baby.' He whispered.

'I love you.' I whispered back before putting the phone down.

I swiped a bead of sweat from my forehead and picked up my bags. I walked to the bus stop and sat on the bench waiting for the 361 which took me to the hospital.

'Alex?' Said a familiar voice near me. I shifted my head around to see a boy sitting a couple of seats next to me.

'Michael?' I laughed in shock. I threw my bags in the ground and ran up to him.

'What are you doing here?' I asked, hugging him tightly.

'I'm visiting my mom in hospital, we were skiing in Switzerland and she sort of broke both her legs so they bought us here in a helicopter.' His voice faded as I pulled away.

'I can't believe we are here at the same time.' I laughed.

'I know, so how are you Alex? Is your brother getting any better?'

I had known Michael since I was 7 in primary school. He moved away when I was 13 and my heart was broken. We had been out a couple of times but we were such good friends we just decided to stay that way.

'He's slowly getting there. I was just going to visit him actually.'

'Great, we've still got a whole bus journey to catch up!' Michael smiled. Just as if by magic the bus pulled round the corner.

Mike helped me with my bags as we got into the bus.

'Shopping spree? Nothing's changed with you then.' He laughed.

'It's not for me. I'm throwing my boyfriend a surprise birthday party so it's everything for that.' I giggled back at his thought.

'So who's the lucky fellow then? Where did you meet?'

He's called Noah, he's amazing. Tom loves him and he took me into his home when nobody else saw I was suffering.' Goosebumps rose up my arms as I thought of him. Saying everything out loud makes me realise how much he has helped me.

'So he knows about your parents?' He asked acting shady.

'Yeah, but he said none of that matters anymore because Tom now has him in his life.'

'So where did you meet him?'

I really didn't want to tell him. I felt ashamed. Not ashamed of dating Noah but the fact he was my teacher.

'You've got to swear not to tell anyone!' I whispered so no one on the bus heard.

'I'm scared but I promise I won't tell a living human being.'

'I met Noah at school.' I suddenly turned away and looked out the window.

'That's it? You're dating a student in your class?'

I turned back to face him.

'He's not technically a student...'

I watched as Mike's face changed to realisation.

'He's your teacher?!' He blurted out. I quickly covered his mouth with my hands and gave him dagger eyes.

'Shhhhhhhhh.' I loudly whispered to him.

'Well I suppose that's one way to get good grades.'

I gave him a very pissed off look. I didn't want people thinking that's why I was dating him. I loved Noah for him not because I wanted good grades.

'I'm doing it to get good grades, I love him.'

'Whatever Alex, I never expected this from you. I knew you were going through a lot but I didn't think it would drive you to do something this stupid and low.' Michael spat at me. It's like he just stabbed me in the back. He was my best friend who I could trust with anything and now he doesn't understand me.

He stood from the seat and moved from the back. Away from me.

We arrived at the hospital. I picked up my bags and ran off the bus as fast as I could. I needed to see my brother. He was the only one I could talk to right now. I could feel my eyes fill with water. The water that nobody should feel. I couldn't even pretend to be brave, I let them fall. I ran into reception. I ran straight into the arms of Marie.

'Honey, what's going on?' She asked in a worried voice.

'Am I a terrible person, Marie?' I burst out. Dropping all my bags in threw my arms around her.

'What are you talking about? you're far from it angel!' She caressed me in her arms. I felt at home. I felt like I was with my family.

'Then why do I feel like I've done something terrible.'

'Calm down, just breathe. In through the nose and out through the mouth.' She chanted until I caught my breath back.

'Right, what's going on?' She asked with stern eyes.

'Noah is my English teacher at school.' I whispered. I watched as her eyebrows slanted.

'I thought he was your boyfriend?'

'He is.' I gulped waiting for a disgusted look off her. But I didn't.

'And do you love him?' She asked.

'With all my heart. I've never felt like this with anyone before.'

'Then that's all that matters. So what if he teachers you Shakespeare and corrects your grammar in school.' She giggled.

'If you two love each other then nothing should get in the way of that.'