Chapter 15 - Martha Has Brunch

Martha was excited for today. She rather enjoyed hosting events at her home. Having her prepare food, expecting so many nice visitors for a nice hour or two of pleasant conversation they could all relate to. School, chores, the troubles of being a parent.

And, of course, bragging about her and her husband's perfect marriage. She was the perfect stay-at-home mother while he worked his typical office job. Martha was the best spouse on the street. It was an afterthought, yes, but that fact alone brought her great pride. She adored showing off the years of effort she made to build this family, and showing off her work was her pride and joy.

The weather didn't allow for them to go outside, sadly, as the February weather never really was consistent. But her dining room had more than enough space for them to enjoy a perfect brunch.

And she was rather eager to finally know that skeleton and his supposed husband. She never really saw them around, it was worrying. People quickly spoke about the possible abuse, and who could blame them? He looked so small and frail when he answered, and their close neighbors accounted for the several times they heard angry screaming coming from their house in the late hours of the night. She didn't want to assume anything, but it was worrying. So that's why she visited his house a little earlier before her brunch party, to ensure he was coming.

The skeleton arrived just on time. Carrying some food just like everyone else had brought, and behind him stood a human man wearing a face mask.

"Ah, hello!" Martha said with a bright smile.

Sans was wearing a somewhat nicer hoodie and was holding a bowl of potato salad. A typical choice. She had two more already inside. Not that she could blame him, they were practically strangers. And his husband seemed to be wearing a plain shirt with -

Oh, okay. She could see why he seemed not too eager to dress up, because he had muscles for days. Not overly buff, but she could see he worked out. His shoulders were rather defined, his brown fluffy hair swept to the side by wind, and though he was pale, it went well with his overall look.

The guy was taking care of himself. This skeleton struck lucky.

"Hello, I... I'm Toby," He had said, outstretching an arm to shake hers. "I'm his husband."

"I'm Martha," She said, firmly shaking his calloused hand. "I can't believe we've been neighbors for months and never interacted - oh, sorry, come in, come in!"

Martha never was one to try and take the spotlight. For her, no one deserved it at her brunches. Everyone should get an equal footing. But these two men practically took it when they stepped inside. As if suddenly realizing Sans might be at risk of tripping because of his short height, Toby's hand jerked out in front of him. And Sans effortlessly grasped onto it, using his hand to gently hoist himself fully into her home. Toby glanced down at the contact, and the two shared a look into each other's eyes.

How romantic!

"I'm sorry, I... I've been busy with - erk - things," Toby said, giving a nervous chuckle.

Ah, that explained the slight stutter earlier. The poor man had Tourettes. Her sister's wife did, and she knew the tics were typically worse under high emotions. He must be anxious about making a first good impression.

"There's no need for you to explain yourselves, honestly I apologize for not quelling the rumors quicker, that's my fault," She said, "I can tell already you guys are just peachy. Why don't we go start up our brunch now?"

Martha let out a soft smile as she led them toward her dining room. She never did go easy on the food whenever she had brunches, and she was guaranteed to impress these two. Crepes, pancakes, cinnamon rolls, banana bread, you name it. All perfectly spread out across the table as a delectable sight indeed.