Chapter 26 - To Meet A Painter

There was a babble. A high-pitched, intelligent babble. From right in front of him. A slight grip on his arm, tugging on his ulna bone. Little hands pawing at him for his attention, and despite the urgency with which those touches demanded it, Sans' mind was slowly coming around. Almost as if booting up. The fog that clouded his mind finally cleared, and with a rough cough, he found his bones clattering as he finally peeled open his eye sockets.

"Bean?" He asked, his voice slightly sore and his pelvis and legs aching.

"Bah! Bahbah!" Bean wined, slapping one hand against his radius bone as the other tugged. She blinked a few times before she crawled forward, practically humming with joy. A droplet of blood dribbled from her body onto the ground.

"Oh shit, Bean!"

Sans picked her up in an instant, cradling his daughter to his chest as he sat up. She gurgled random syllables, clinging to Sans as he checked her health. No cuts or bruises. The only blood was on her teeth, and it seemed to only coat the ends of them. He carefully held her mouth open, shoulders sagging with relief when he saw she was fully clear of any injuries. However, in that movement, he noticed that thick rings of metal were firmly locked around his arm and her leg.

Magic restraints. God fucking damn it.

Sans was going to have a stern talking to for whatever knucklehead decided to put a magical restraint on a baby. That could seriously mess with the development of little Bean's magic if left on for too long.

Bean cooed in his hold, looking rather satisfied with herself now that she was with her skeleton father again. Unaware of the situation they both were now in.

Looks like some sort of greenhouse. He glanced up towards the glass ceiling, watching rain pelt down across the dusty top. The pitter-patter of that water was muffled, along with the slight whisper of wind pressing against the building. Old vines crept along the walls, even wrapping up towards the ceiling in a corner of the small and crowded room.

As far as he knew, there was no greenhouse anywhere in his town. That meant he was at least a fifteen-minute walk from his house. Likely more. The entire trip here was foggy and distant. Could have been longer. Probably was longer. Jane shouldn't have taken too long to notice he was gone and he doubted the others would be far behind on the news. So, at the very least, someone was looking for him. A lot of someone. And those someones weren't caring about the law.

"Oh goodie. You're awake."

There he was. The man that kidnapped Sans and his daughter. Walking into the room with his back hunched and hands nonchalantly shoved into his pockets. He tilted his head when he saw Sans, and only offered a shrug when he frowned.

"Hey, I kept my promise. Didn't hurt her. Though she bites like a bitch," He said.

"Yeah, no shit. You kidnapped her," Sans snapped back, tugging her closer in his embrace.

"Honestly, not really. She's the one that teleported inside of my arms. I was originally going to wait longer before grabbing her."

Of course she did.

"Well, dude, don't put a magic restraint on a kid. That can fuck them up." Sans frowned at him.

"Does it? Shit, didn't know that. I just snagged them after this one restaurant went out of business and tossed them. Didn't look up anything specific about them." Absentmindedly, the man scratched the side of his face as he glanced away. "Alright, yeah, I'll take it off of her. You're keeping yours though."

Sans didn't bother to try and fight him when he approached and grabbed Bean's leg. When his arm tilted, he saw exactly where Bean attacked, as several blood stains coated his arm in a row of what seemed to be teeth marks. No second key. Looks like he was planning on removing Bean's anyways.