Chapter 29 - A Slight Insight

Sans missed Laughing Jack and Jane already. It felt weird, to miss them so quickly and harshly, yet he found himself missing the warmth of their bodies next to his when he woke up. Ever since they started dating, Jane switched from sleeping in her room to his. When Jane wasn't sleeping with him, Laughing Jack took her spot. So Sans didn't lay in bed alone. Not anymore.

The morning was spent with Helen sleepily blinking his way through the motions of breakfast before drifting off for a nap halfway through the meal. The poor man passed out so fast that Sans had to double-check his bowl of dry cereal to see if any sleeping medication was somehow ground inside.

And during that nap, Sans spent some one-on-one time with his daughter. Held her up to look through the glass and see all the new types of plants she never has seen before, let her play with a ladybug (that she tried to eat, but he had to drag it away to preserve its life), and decided to practice some crawling with her. Bean was stupidly good at it. Impressive for her age. Sans didn't think she'd be this quick of a learner.

The Puppeteer didn't return, but Sans didn't dare walk out. Not with this magic restraint on. He'd be a walking target, especially since he wouldn't know his way home from here. A small, fragile skeleton carrying a baby girl with a magic restraint on him? Not worth the risk.

The greenhouse was admittedly beautiful. Sans never actually was inside of one before. The glass containing the interior glistened a wondrous combination of sparkles and light down upon the colorful and bright flowers plaguing the flower beds tucked into the corner. Sans set Bean into one of them, ready to sacrifice her cleanliness for her overall happiness. And Bean loved it, patting the dirt and poking at the flowers with a curious, wide gaze.

"Baba!" Bean said, pointing to the flower.

"Yeah?" Sans chuckled, leaning forward. "You like that one?"

The flower was a deep shade of red that seemed to almost glow under the sun's light. Reminded him of echo flowers, in a way. He should probably show Bean them one day. She'd love them.

"Those are... uh... I don't know the name," Sans said, shrugging. "But I'll keep an eye out so we can plant them in our house."

Bean babbled excitedly, slapping her muddy hands together.

She needed a bath now. Sans should probably ask Helen if he had anywhere to bathe her when he woke up. Her teeth were still lightly stained with blood that Sans couldn't wide off despite how hard he tried, there was a stain of peach juice on her cheek, and now her hands were all muddy. Thankfully, baths weren't too difficult for Bean. The change of clothes was going to be a problem, though.

Laughing Jack would probably like her reaction. Sometimes, when she'd start one of her random rants of noise, he'd lean and down nod enthusiastically, saying "Mhm, mhm," over and over as if having a serious conversation with her.

"Oh, you're so cute," Sans said, patting Bean's cheek.

Helen ended up waking up shortly after that with a quick startle. Guy seemed to be on alert when he awoke, blinking a few times while looking around. Their gazes met, and Sans awkwardly offered a slight smile when Helen awoke.

"You uh... okay?" Sans asked.

Helen blinked. "Yes, yes... sorry. Don't usually fall asleep here." He pulled back from the table, moving his likely sore joints to try and stretch them.

"Sleeping at tables does suck. Prefer the bed. Or the couch. Nice to have a cushion. Especially with bones, man, sleeping with a body of pure jointy edges on a flat rough surface is difficult."

"I'd imagine."

Sans hummed in agreement, picking up Bean who reached for the flower to pluck it. When she managed to grasp it, she played with it in the air, waving it back and forth. Huh. She's managing to get past her insistent need to chew everything she plays with. Every single toy of hers has ended up between her chompers at least once. However, now she was simply - never mind. Bean closed her teeth around a leaf, chewing on it briefly before spitting it out with a huff. And, as if it was his fault she ate the disgusting plant, she turned and glared at Sans.